For a better quality zoom, upload larger images.

We recommend at least 1000px images, if possible.

For more options to control your zoom, use Magic Zoom Plus from the addon store. You can set it to enlarge on hover, as you described. There is a choice of effects on how it enlarges. You can also adjust the speed and background colou/opacity of thet enlarged image.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

It seems you got this sorted maybe?  I'm having a similar problem... what did you do to fix it?   Although, the sample link you give still doesn't zoom how I'd like.

I uploaded a 2400x2400 image and the zoomed image is BARELY bigger than the unzoomed one.  I don't get it.

just to get silly I changed it to 10,000 x 10,000 and 300dpi (just in case dpi matters - it shouldn't since this isn't print).  I waited a massively long time while the server choked it down.  It still shows up as a maybe 110% "zoom" over the thumb.  Ridiculous.  I thought maybe it had to do with the theme I was using, so I went back to default.

There are obviously better ways to do this.   These examples are way more in line with what I'm looking for:  http://www.elevateweb.co.uk/image-zoom/examples

Although even then, it would be nice to get in REALLY close for details.