Merchant Needs Advice

I’m a small business merchant (Mom & Pop Shop) not a programmer/webmaster…

Been working with a Canadian company that develops Prestashop ecommerce websites for small business, they farm 95% of the work out to India. Actually, I think I’m their first ecommerce customer…

We started 10 months ago with a deposit to get started and it seems that we've come to a stand still. We’re using the Alysum theme, and nothing seems to be getting done. I myself have uploaded, configured, written all content and images/graphics for the site myself out of frustration.  I have tried to stay loyal but I’m getting tired and I don’t have a bottomless pit of money either. My personal opinion is that the site is 40%-50% complete (excluding the inventory data entry) which I can do.

I am considering jumping ship to get this thing up and running but I need help. I just don’t have time, I’m trying to run a business too.  I’m not completely illiterate when it comes to Prestashop but I’m no [spam-filter] either.  I can do a lot of the simple stuff through the back office, but I don’t have the time to get into any custom coding and complicated changes. I don’t completely understand 100% how Prestashop works, just learned on the fly.

I only have access to the back office.

Is it possible to download my entire development website and move to another server and have someone else help me finish this….?

Is it possible for me to finish this on my own?

Would be happy to have it up and running by Sept 2014…….Any guidance would be greatly appreciated….

Is it possible to download my entire development website and move to another server and have someone else help me finish this….?

you would need 1) ftp or other access to copy shop files and 2) phpmyadmin or other access to export your shops mysql  3) able to change your domain names DNS, i.e point to a new hosting account

for 1 and 2 there may be work around, like back up program that also allows you to download the file (maybe presto-changeo) has back up restore module to do this.

Thanks El Patron... I've sent Presto-changeo a note to see if their Automatic Prestashop Backup module can help me out of this mess...Thanks for the help.

Worst case is I can download all my content and start all over again....damn.....

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

My developer has officially abandoned me when I try to access the back office for the past week I get his error.

500 Internal Server Error

The request was not completed. The server met an unexpected condition.

Not nice, very unprofessional.

Either they have seen this post and figured out that I was talking about them and deleted the website, gone out of business, or realized that developing a functioning Prestashop eCommerce website was way over their heads. They certainly had a good sales pitch and made many unfulfilled promises, but failed completely on delivery.

I tried sending a few emails, but no one is replying. So, I have given up on them now, I think what they were doing is making a living by taking down payments on website development, do a few things to impress you (farming it out to India), then do nothing hoping that you will get frustrated and go away…then, move on to the next victim.

I was lucky that I had used a website downloader program a few weeks ago to captured an image of the website, with all the menu structures, images and content intact. All that work completed by myself, so not all is lost. I have learned an enormous amount during the past 10 (wasted) months. I feel confident that I can try again without them.

Failure or success is now my responsibility.

Unfortunately for Prestashop (sorry guys) I have jumped platforms and have started over with Magento CE and a whole new theme.  With all the captured material I have, I’ll be able to rebuild very quickly, and be back to where I was in about 2-3 weeks (working part –time).

Thanks guys  ,,,Dieverts

www.islandgold.com

Edited by dieverts (see edit history)