[SOLVED] Bulk-generate virtual products

DaBouncer

Hi,

We currently handle +700 visitors each season of which 150-200 purchase their personal video. The distribution is by download, but the editing (and uploading) is not done until the purchase has been made. We do however populate the catalog so that each of our visitors can identify the correct video.

So far Prestashop is the only shopping-cart we have found that supports the way we handle the online-catalog both pre- and post sales. The process is quite time-consuming, but to maintain control over the distribution we find it nessecary.

Please let me explain how it it done: We bulk-generate the products from CSV and then manually edit each of them by ticking it off as a 'virtual/downloadable product' and then assign an unique name for the video-file (ex. 10aug130001.mp4). Because the file itself has not been uploaded Prestashop warns me that the file is missing along with the path to ex. .../mystore/download/81ad4bd3bb7f16c3174a3792a8501171e4acfe6

This hash is vital for the success here; after a sale the unique video is edited, rendered and then FTP'd to the downloads-folder and renamed using the beforementioned hash. Hitting F5 on the product-page and presto there is no file missing anymore and the file can be cleared for download.

The bulk-import part is working fine, but we would like to be able to automate the process where the product is transformed to a virtual product. It does not need to be implemented as an admin function of Prestashop; a sql-script will do the trick, but of course a module would be very nice.

We are looking for someone that can solve this issue before the end of May; please PM your price offer.

If any more information is needed, please use this forum so that the community may benefit.

Edited by DaBouncer (see edit history)

Hey guys, I wrote a script (webpage) for you that can get that done.  I can easily customize it so that you can upload a csv file with the name of the product (ex. 10aug130001.mp4) and the hashtag.  I can rename the product for you and also mark it as a virtual product.  Please send me a pm and we can discuss on Skype if you're still needing this.  

This offer also goes out to you too djhs.  Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Hi,

We currently handle +700 visitors each season of which 150-200 purchase their personal video. The distribution is by download, but the editing (and uploading) is not done until the purchase has been made. We do however populate the catalog so that each of our visitors can identify the correct video.

So far Prestashop is the only shopping-cart we have found that supports the way we handle the online-catalog both pre- and post sales. The process is quite time-consuming, but to maintain control over the distribution we find it nessecary.
Please let me explain how it it done: We bulk-generate the products from CSV and then manually edit each of them by ticking it off as a 'virtual/downloadable product' and then assign an unique name for the video-file (ex. 10aug130001.mp4). Because the file itself has not been uploaded Prestashop warns me that the file is missing along with the path to ex. .../mystore/download/81ad4bd3bb7f16c3174a3792a8501171e4acfe6
This hash is vital for the success here; after a sale the unique video is edited, rendered and then FTP'd to the downloads-folder and renamed using the beforementioned hash. Hitting F5 on the product-page and presto there is no file missing anymore and the file can be cleared for download.

The bulk-import part is working fine, but we would like to be able to automate the process where the product is transformed to a virtual product. It does not need to be implemented as an admin function of Prestashop; a sql-script will do the trick, but of course a module would be very nice.

We are looking for someone that can solve this issue before the end of May; please PM your price offer.

If any more information is needed, please use this forum so that the community may benefit.

can you explain in a little detail what you are looking for....

Hi,

Please explain in some more details