create a child theme necessary?

Hi

Upgraded to 1.6

installed theme

but... need to make changes in that theme

so to avoid losing these changes upon possible future update i guess i need to create a child theme

i can only find some info on that regarding version 1.5

when i do this (copy the theme files in a different named folder inside themes) i can choose it but it also uses files/modules from default bootstrap theme

It does not do that when installing the original purchased theme

Do i do something wrong?

hello

these modules overrides are there because of new design of template.

if you want to use default bootrstrap theme with exactly the same design, you have to copy also modified modules template files.

it works the same as it works in prestashop 1.5.x

Hi Vekia

It is not the default bootstrap theme i want to use... it's a purchased theme (let's call it XYZ to prevent advertising here :-)) the client wants, but i need to customize it so i can not do that on the original purchased theme as that would get un-done on an update

so i copy the complete contents of the XYZ folder into a new created folder ABC

when i go to themes in the admin area i can select that theme ABC but when saving that i get different modules to select than with the original theme and also in different order... should that not be the same?

one other question... in frameworks like wordpress when creating a child them, when updating the original theme, alll cahnges are saved because of the child theme while still profit form the updated theme ast it being the parent... obviously as far as i can tell here that is not the same ... is it? Maybe you could just as well work on the original theme to customize it or am i wrong?

Thanks again for your input

• Like 2