show search icon in blocktopmenu search - prestashop 1.6

I am customizing a theme so I want to add small magnifier icon in searchbar appeared in top menu. Moreover, I want to add a default value in that searchbox that will be hide when user click on the searchbox.

I edited the template block search files under themes folder but no help. Is there any other way to do this?

P.S. I am using the Prestashop 1.6 with default bootstrap theme.

My website is play.game5ive.com

Edited by Junaid Khawaja (see edit history)

That search bar is located in topmenu. You can add search icon in css.

For text in search box open yourtheme/modules/blocktopmenu/blocktopmenu.tpl and change this code

<input type="text" name="search_query" value="{if isset($smarty.get.search_query)}{$smarty.get.search_query|escape:'html':'UTF-8'}{/if}" />

to this

<input type="text" placeholder="Yourtext" name="search_query" value="{if isset($smarty.get.search_query)}{$smarty.get.search_query|escape:'html':'UTF-8'}{/if}" />
  • Like 1

For text in search box open yourtheme/modules/blocktopmenu/blocktopmenu.tpl and change this code

<input type="text" name="search_query" value="{if isset($smarty.get.search_query)}{$smarty.get.search_query|escape:'html':'UTF-8'}{/if}" />

to this

<input type="text" placeholder="Yourtext" name="search_query" value="{if isset($smarty.get.search_query)}{$smarty.get.search_query|escape:'html':'UTF-8'}{/if}" />

to this

I was making all those changes to blocksearch.tpl and blocksearchtop.tpl. Got to know that blocktopmenu.tpl have the same codes repeated for searchbar for top menu. Thanks a lot man. Can I now follow these instructions too?

http://www.prestashop.com/forums/topic/248300-solved-put-default-text-in-the-search-bar/?p=1232661

It works!

Thanks A Lot!

You are welcome.

I think you don't need that from other post. If you put placeholder="your text" in input it should do the work. When you start to type in the field, your text dissapears.

• 3 months later...

Hi,

I want the search icon but whith this code:

Don't show a submin button

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, how can I show a translated string as a placeholder? I tried the following:

<input type="text" name="search_query" placeholder="{l s='Search'}" value="{if isset($smarty.get.search_query)}{$smarty.get.search_query|escape:'html':'UTF-8'}{/if}" />

but it just displays the english version on all languages...

@dioniz

No, I just wanted to show a placeholder in the search field of the top menu bar. It should change according to the currently selected language. Under Localization > Translations there already is a translated string for "Search" (probably from the search module? which I have disabled) So I thought I could just use this one. But no matter which language I select, it always just displays "Search", in English.

• 3 weeks later...

Adding this code on the blocktopmenu.tpl of the theme, it works:

<form id="searchbox" method="get" action="{$link->getPageLink('search')|escape:'html':'UTF-8'}" >
                        <input type="hidden" name="controller" value="search" />
                        <input type="hidden" name="orderby" value="position" />
                        <input type="hidden" name="orderway" value="desc" />
                        <input class="search_query form-control" type="text" id="search_query_top" name="search_query" placeholder="{l s='Search' mod='blocksearch'}" value="{$search_query|escape:'htmlall':'UTF-8'|stripslashes}" />
                        <button type="submit" name="submit_search" class="btn btn-default button-search">
                            <span>{l s='Search' mod='blocksearch'}</span>
                        </button>
                    </form>

• 3 months later...

Adding this code on the blocktopmenu.tpl of the theme, it works:

<form id="searchbox" method="get" action="{$link->getPageLink('search')|escape:'html':'UTF-8'}" >

<input type="hidden" name="controller" value="search" />

<input type="hidden" name="orderby" value="position" />

<input type="hidden" name="orderway" value="desc" />

<input class="search_query form-control" type="text" id="search_query_top" name="search_query" placeholder="{l s='Search' mod='blocksearch'}" value="{$search_query|escape:'htmlall':'UTF-8'|stripslashes}" />

<button type="submit" name="submit_search" class="btn btn-default button-search">

<span>{l s='Search' mod='blocksearch'}</span>

</button>

</form>

Hello, i add this code on blocktopmenu.css but don't possible see icon search on my website. store.nyro.es. What is the problem?

Thanks.