Really really bad image compression issues

Hi when uploading into prestashop 1.5.6.1 I see that the images get scaled down terribly. Strangely enough this wasn't always like the way it is now, it just started recently. 

I just took a random image and uploaded it as a product image to provide a sample and attached both here. I also attached a screenshot of my image settings.

Any ideas why it would do this?

Regards

Ruan

post-582457-0-13971400-1399024529_thumb.jpg

post-582457-0-46909300-1399024612_thumb.png

post-582457-0-00950800-1399024721_thumb.png

Edited by ruan567 (see edit history)

Thanks

So I took a look at the dimensions of the image I am trying to upload and then added that exact image width/height to the list under image preferences, and assigned that to products as well. Deleted the product image, uploaded the image again, cleared cache, disabled cache etc. Still no effect.

EDIT: I also see in the manual they state: "If you want to make sure your image is correctly resized, you should upload an image that fits the size ratio of the various image sizes. If your uploaded image does not have the same width-to-height ratio than the settings in place, you are taking the risk to see whitespace on the resized image."

Shouldn't it add whitespace then instead of distorting the image like that?

It looks to me like extreme compression artifacts rather than resizing problems, but my quality settings are all on max.

Edited by ruan567 (see edit history)