Add style tag to html head

Hi

I want to add some inline css to the <head> section of my template header.tpl file. I have tried to do it using the following code but when I do this the page does not load at all. By "at all" I mean it does not load a single thing!

<head>
<style type="text/css">
#someID{
    position: fixed;
    bottom: 0px;
    left: 0px;
    background: #fff;
    width: 100%;
    padding: 13px 0px;
    border-top: 1px solid #cecece;
    -webkit-box-shadow: 0px -2px 5px rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.2);
    -moz-box-shadow:    0px -2px 5px rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.2);
     box-shadow:         0px -2px 5px rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.2);
     zoom: 1;
    filter: alpha(opacity=90);
    opacity: 0.9;
    text-align: left !important;
    }
</style>
</head>

I would appreciate if you can let me know what is the mistake that I am making here and the correct way to do this.

Thanks in advance

Why are you doing this in head? Do it in global.css

I understand that You edit header.tpl file. 

Don't touch this file. Put Your style to global.css of Your template

Well can you please tell me if it is possible of or not? If it is possible then I want to find out how. If it is not possible then I want to know why its not possible? and yes I am doing this in header.tpl

The reason I am doing is because I have run my website through some website analysis tools like Google PageSpeed which are suggesting me that I should inline some small css code to improve load time of above-the-fold content.

I don't know how do you exactly implement your style to header.tpl so it is hard to tell what you are doing wrong.

If you put presented code as is to the header you have two header sections. That couldn't work correctly.

Pagespeed analytic tools suggest obvious things but hard coding every style it is not the correct way to optymalize page generation speed. To observe improvements you should implement to header thousands line of style code and it will be not big improvement if any.

To optymalize css use ccc function in your admin panel.  

I don't know how do you exactly implement your style to header.tpl so it is hard to tell what you are doing wrong.

If you put presented code as is to the header you have two header sections. That couldn't work correctly.

Pagespeed analytic tools suggest obvious things but hard coding every style it is not the correct way to optymalize page generation speed. To observe improvements you should implement to header thousands line of style code and it will be not big improvement if any.

To optymalize css use ccc function in your admin panel.  

If you want to have it in header.tpl just put style code in between existing head tags, i mean don't make new head tags

I think you guys did not get my problem. I am not adding another <head>. All I am doing is adding style which look like as below to an already existing HEAD:

<style type="text/css">
#someID{
    position: fixed;
    bottom: 0px;
    left: 0px;
    background: #fff;
    width: 100%;
    padding: 13px 0px;
    border-top: 1px solid #cecece;
    -webkit-box-shadow: 0px -2px 5px rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.2);
    -moz-box-shadow:    0px -2px 5px rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.2);
     box-shadow:         0px -2px 5px rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.2);
     zoom: 1;
    filter: alpha(opacity=90);
    opacity: 0.9;
    text-align: left !important;
    }
</style>

Just to avoid more confusion, the HEAD section is already present and is properly opened and closed. The problem happens when the style tag like above is added to it.

Now, whenever I do this the page does not load a single line. I don't see any markup when I view the page source and I don't get any error message. All I get is just a plain blank page.

I think I have got to the problem and solution but dont really understand whats going on under the hood. This time I am going to show the exact css code which is causing problem.

With the following minified css the website does not load:

#cookielaw{position:fixed;bottom:0;left:0;background:#fff;width:100%;padding:13px 0;border-top:1px solid #cecece;-webkit-box-shadow:0 -2px 5px rgba(0,0,0,.2);-moz-box-shadow:0 -2px 5px rgba(0,0,0,.2);box-shadow:0 -2px 5px rgba(0,0,0,.2);zoom:1;filter:alpha(opacity=90);opacity:.9;text-align:left !important}#cookielaw p{padding:6px 0 !important;margin-right:15px}#cookie_close{text-transform:uppercase;float:right}

But with the following the website works:

#cookielaw { position: fixed; bottom: 0; left: 0; background: #fff; width: 100%; padding: 13px 0; border-top: 1px solid #cecece; box-shadow: 0 -2px 5px rgba( 0, 0, 0, .2); zoom:1; filter: alpha(opacity=90); opacity: .9; text-align: left !important; -webkit-box-shadow: 0px -2px 5px rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.2); -moz-box-shadow: 0px -2px 5px rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.2)}
#cookielaw p { padding: 6px 0 !important; margin-right: 15px }
#cookie_close { text-transform: uppercase; float: right }

Though I am happy that the last snippet works but I have no idea why the first css did not work!

if you use styles in tpl files don't forget to use {literal}{/literal} tags

these tags are necessary because css styles code uses brackets, so smarty compiler treats these brackets as a smarty syntax

aaah I see, that explains a lot, many thanks