Correcting database info on new 1.6.0.5 install

Hi there

I've been running my site on v1.4.x and on the recommendation of the Prestashop site, chose to install the new v1.6.0.5 rather than try to upgrade.

I had hoped that I would be able to link the new site the the database of the old site, but after much banging my head off the keyboard in frustration, I made the call to Prestashop who advised me that was not possible, and they sent me over here to ask for information.

So, then I decided to make use of an empty database which had been generated on my hosting site, making the changes in Filezilla (as I still cannot find any options to edit database info on the back end), but that resulted in my front end going blank, and also some pages on the back end going blank, such as /Advanced Parameters/Configuration Information etc.

So please, can anyone tell me how to correct my database information?

Regards

This is getting a bit complicated. You need a copy of your old shop. Make sure to make a backup: things may not work out well the first time.

First step would be to bring 1.4 back to its default theme. 

Next is to upgrade this version to 1.6 - just the automatic upgrade.

Now comes the tricky part: you need to export the product, order and customer related tables as sql files. So leave the configuration related tables out.

Now you import those product related tables into your newly made 1.6.

Finally you need to copy the \img directory

You can also consider doing it the other way around if your install is rather clean: importing the configuration tables from your clean install into your upgrade. But whatever you do: keep backups available.

You could also consider exporting the product data from 1.4 as a csv file and importing them as such in 1.6. But doing that you may miss some info and you will need to re-assign the pictures.

Edited by musicmaster (see edit history)