How to improve Prestashop's search engine?

I've been looking for a modification or module to improve Prestashop's search engine, but had no success so far.

There are certain issues with the search engine such as no spell correction or suggested results for misspelled words. When I type a keyword + a brand name, I would like to get the results that contain both the keyword and the brand name, but the search engine shows no results. And a large etcetera of improvements that could be done.

There's only a couple of modules in prestashop addons website that are somehow fulfilling my needs, but these either show a tag such as "Powered by Google Search" or the demo website doesn't work, being impossible to verify if these would help me or not :S.

I've also found some paid search engines that require a subscription fee. These are pretty much what I need, but are really expensive (~$50 USD per month) and not a module per see.

So, basically I'm sstucked at this issue :S. If there's a way to make some core modifications to the prestashop's search engine, that would be even better than paying for a module or a suscription :)