Tabbed Content on home page, Products blocks, reduce width

On the home page, we are just using the New Items block. Since we are just starting, only have a couple of products and do not want the tabbed content on home page to be the entire width across. We would like to put Block Advertising to the right of the New Products block.

I've reduced the number of items that are considered new. I've tried adding a width attribute to global.css for #home-page-tabs, and for #index .tab-content. While that changes the width, it shrinks the product view. However, I can't add something to the right.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Daniel

Edited by Dougadanny (see edit history)

any chance to see your modifications live?

if so, please share url, i will inspect it and (i hope so) write a solution

Site is not live yet. Adding width to the tabbed content and/or new products, resulted in distorted product box. I did a workaround for now, not optimal, but it works. I've copied the image for the product from the New products box with banner on it, made a jpeg and used the images in Theme Configurator on home page, making it a link to the product details. This allows me to add other images so that the horizontal space is not empty. While is't a terrible way to do it, we can live with the fact that it is not an interactive product preview and people will need to go to the details to add to cart. It looks almost identical, but with no rollover effects.