how can i add a left column for catagories ?

First you need to go to Preferences, themes and at the top you will see a place to edit the theme, click on edit and enable all pages where you want the left column to show.

Be sure and save.

Now you will need to go to modules, positions, scroll down to DisplayLeftColumn and edit each one and remove all exceptions.

Be sure and save.

Your left column blocks should now show.

Thanks for the reply, have i done something wrong ? ive removed/unhooked all exceptions and i still dont have a collum on the left ?

thaks

What do you mean Unhooked you should not have unhooked any modules, in the positions page you would click on edit to the right of the left column modules then in the exceptions text area delete the exceptions and save.

If you PM me log in to the back office I can set it up for you then you can have a look at how I did it.

Here is a link to a site I am testing on so you can see what I have.

https://team-shepherdusa.com/shop15

• Like 1

Your all set now, I had to reset some modules so the shop page now shows the images from the theme configurator, rather then unhook the theme configuator just configure and disable the images or remove them.

Here is a tip, I did not like the way the standard menu works in the left column, it will depreciate as you go into the menu meaning the further you go the less it shows.

I used the files from 1.5.6.2 and overwrote the files inside the blockcategories modules and it works great now.

If you do the just upload the files in the main folder not the additional folders you will see inside the modules folder.

• Like 1

I am answering your question here so others can see how to accomplish this.

The question was how to move homeslider to right and have left column move to top and display to left of slider.

Here is how I did it, first I added a hook to the homeslider.php file, I made a space at or around line 494 and pasted the code below.

public function hookDisplayHomeTab($params)
{
if (!$this->_prepareHook())
return false;

return $this->display(__FILE__, 'homeslider.tpl', $this->getCacheId());
}

Now from the back office go to modules, positions and transplant the homeslider to DisplayHomeTab, now in positions scroll down to DisplayHomeTab and move the slider to the top of the list, and unhook from DisplayTopColumn
You will also most likely need to make your images wider at this point so that the Home Tabs are not to the right of the slider images, I made mine 850x300 and the result can be seen here: