Module version 3.6.6 - No »Express Checkout« in Germany

HenrikF

First of all:

It's interesting I had to install the PayPal-module in my PrestaShop version 1.5.6.1 even though the module description in the module directory on the PrestaShop website states it is already included. Well, anyway. Maybe someone should look at this in PrestaShop 1.5.6.2.

Now to my real problem:

I've installed said module in it's - as of now - current version 3.6.6 which went smooth. I've inserted the PayPal credentials and checked - now the important part - »PayPal Express« because I need this. Unfortunately the PayPal-»Express«-button does not show up in my shopping cart.

I've looked at the source of the module paypal.php and found the method hookShoppingCartExtra() where extra content is displayed in the shopping cart (using the hook HOOK_SHOPPING_CART_EXTRA). It checks various circumstances to not show that button. One of those circumstances is returned by the method getPaymentMethods().

This methods checks based on the chosen language of the shop the availability of various PayPal-payment-methods. There are constants in the module named

• WPS
  • HSS
  • ECS

Last one is the one in question. Now it comes: When the language is set to German (DE) only WPS is available. Neither HSS or ECS. I am pretty sure this is a bug since I am also pretty sure I've seen shops in Germany which offer Express Checkout of PayPal.

Could someone please confirm this behavior?

Kind regards,
Henrik Fisch

Edited by HenrikF (see edit history)

Hi Henrik,

as per law the express version is not allow for to Germany you will not find to choose this possibility if your seller account is located in Germany. BTW express was eliminated since several Paypal module versions ago (now about one year). You can follow the discussions in German Forum section. Try to choose Switzerland or Austria as default Country and you will get the express version again, but without any obligo, cause it is not according to German laws.

Regards

Conny

Hello Conny,

thank you very much for taking the time and to reply to my little problem.

Your reply triggered some thoughts in me. Yes, you are totally right: Here in Germany customers need to accept the »Terms and Conditions« (»Allgemein Geschäftsbedingungen« or »AGB« in German). Second: All shop-owners are forced by law to include a final button named »Kostenpflichtig Kaufen« or something into the shop. I am not going to discuss this stupid idea of our politicians ... but with »Express Checkout« of PayPal this button would be not shown and the shop-owner would therefore act against law.

Thank you again!

Regards,

Henrik Fisch