Languages & Currency

Hi guys, 

Newbie on 'languages and currencies' (yes i went through other questions and the help sections) before I put this together so I apologise if this is something mentioned a million times before but I couldn't find it and this is the last resort hotel other than paying my provider for premium support on a free product, sod that.

It's a two parter.

When I setup my prestashop, i've bumped into the default currency and language problem I've read about how to change to UK pounds you must also change the localization and well as the default language.  I can't seem to successfully download the localisation pack for british english though, it says it's worked (screenshot) but it fails to show in the listing below.  I thought this might have something to do with the languages section from what i've seen, so i ventured there to find the cause of the issue.  But upon attempting to add 'en-GB' it says it's already associated with another language. Is this because American english is default?  Upon this wall, I mistakenly deleted the languages... and can't get them back.  I only want en-GB :/

I'm in such a muddle.  Can anyone help? 

Screenshot/s attached.

Thank you in advance. Great work to all involved.

Benjamin

Screenshot 1

post-768716-0-06335000-1394080713_thumb.png

Screenshot 2

post-768716-0-68526800-1394081534_thumb.png

Edited by bloughton (see edit history)

Welcome to the forum, bloughton. Importing the pack for United Kingdom won't of itself change the default language - you have to go into Localization->Languages and set English (United Kingdom) to your default. You shouldn't need to add en-GB manually, although I can see why you've attempted that.

Try importing the pack from the local xml file rather than downloading. Ah, ignore that - looking at your screenshot, I think you're using an older version of PS, so that option may not be available.

If you don't want US English, disable (don't delete) it. It looks like you selected all the other languages during installation, these can be deleted if not required.

I'm not sure what stage you've reached with setting up your store, so I don't know if a fresh install would be too disruptive. If that's not an option, it may need the help of others to pinpoint the steps to resolve your current situation. If you could post a screenshot of the current contents of your ps_lang table, that would help.

Cheers, Dave

• Like 1

Hi Dave, 

Sorry for the laggy reply but I gave up on it for a while being as frustrating as it can be for a noob these days.  I re-installed Prestashop fresh and tried again, but again all languages got deleted just by disabling en-US on it's own, not deleting, disabling.  All of the languages go, again (like in screenshot 1).

I deleted the mySQL database, prestashop and installed it all again.  This time I just selected all other languages bar en-US to disable them, did it and low and behold, again all languages vanished (as per screenshot 1).  I'm going to delete the sub-domain, mySQL database and prestashop installation yet again but i'm still none to the wiser on getting en-GB installed and the others disabled without ruining the entire language table.  Any ideas?

I will try your offline install for xml languages packs though as soon as my provider upgrades prestashop to a more current version, thanks.

Also you refer me to screenshot my ps_lang table (isn't that screenshot 1?)  Where is the ps_lang table located if not?

Thanks Dave :)

All of the languages go, again (like in screenshot 1).

I'm not sure why the other languages were there in the first place. I'm assuming that when you do the installation, you just select English as the installation language and state your country as United Kingdom. That should pull in the localization pack for GB and you should just see 2 languages in you back office - English (English) and English (United Kingdom).

I will try your offline install for xml languages packs though as soon as my provider upgrades prestashop to a more current version, thanks.

The version of Prestashop you use is entirely up to you, not your hosting provider. You can just download the latest version (currently 1.5.6.2) from the Prestashop website. Earlier versions are available too.

Also you refer me to screenshot my ps_lang table (isn't that screenshot 1?)  Where is the ps_lang table located if not?

Screenshot 1 is the languages page from PS back office. The ps_lang table is a database table to be found in your PS database (assuming you chose the default ps_ as your prefix). You should have access to a tool called phpmyadmin - using this, you can locate the ps_lang table and display its contents.

Maybe your comments about your provider are the clue to this. Did you do your installation by using a facility offered by your provider, or did you download the installation package from Prestashop and do it yourself?  I would recommend the latter approach.

Cheers, Dave

• Like 1

The initial installation was done via a click n build system over at 1&1 hosting.  But since it's cumbersome language installations and edit requirements I decided to abandon it (1.5x) and install 1.6.  So doing it manually does seem like a good idea after all.  

However, having downloaded v1.6, extracting and uploading it's contents to a folder on my FTP server and setup a new sql database, I cannot access Prestashop's install setup wizard/page.  Everytime I try and get into the INSTALL folder via browser (or manually choose INSTALL/index.php) it throws/routes me back to my root index wordpress page on my server.

QUESTION

Should the subdomain point to /Prestashop/ or /Prestashop/install ?

NOTE/s

I wish to have this prestashop installation on a subdomain so I installed it one level inside root

So it's; http://www.example.com/Prestashop/

Anyway, whatever I do I can't seem to access the setup page.  Any tips?

As you can see i'm very rusty.

Thanks Dave.

Nearly got it!  Though only to the last stage of installation and I now get a blank browser screen on the last screen of installation.  Database connecting and everything, but I cannot get past the last screen, it's all blank like the code hasn't run.  Tried firefox, Chrome and Internet Explorer.  Any ideas Dave?

post-768716-0-15385500-1395127265_thumb.png

I'm assuming you downloaded the official 1.6 Prestashop (1.6.0.5) and are trying to install that based on the installation guide here: http://doc.prestashop.com/display/PS16/Installing+PrestaShop.

There were reports of installation failures in earlier 1.6 releases where the installation failed 78% of the way through. However, that should have been fixed in 1.6.0.5.

My guess is a permissions issue on your host. Recommended settings are 755 for directories and 644 for files. However, permissions should get checked during the System Compatibility part of the installation process.

Can you access any log files on your server - there may be a clue there?

Do you have a localhost environment?  If so, try to install PS there & see if you hit the same issue.

Cheers, Dave

I have confimed I am using v1.6.0.5 and am still getting stuck.  I can also confirm the (attached) blank no setup window is not a browser or 'script running' issue within the browser or system.  I ran the setup off an almost blank tablet with only normal Opera and everything works through the setup to AGAIN the point of this blank window or I am doing something wrong with the permissions or setup isn't right.  I'm going to go over the permissions for folders and files like you advised now.

Thanks for your continued support Dave.

UPDATE: I've also found a logs folder on my ftp section but that's all.  I really don't know what I might be looking for to suggest a problem with a prestashop installation.  I have amended the folder permissions for all the folders (recursive) throughout the Prestashop contents (755) and amended all the files to (644).  I applied this thoughout.  Is that safe to have those permissions throughout?  (it's allot)  --  I'll attempt the installation again now...

• 2 years later...