1.6 Beta Testing Issues

tdr170

Had some time this week so thought I would have a look at the latest release.

Just started testing again and these are the ones that popped right out at me.

Products - For myself this is a big one as there seems to be no way to re-order product position within the category. (as far as I can see)

All products on my site are listed by part number within each category, therefore when entering new parts I need to be able to move them to the correct position.

Product entry - When entering products the price page still defaults to US-AL 4% instead of No tax.

Category entry - Categories still do not auto add to top menu, I can add them manually through the configuration. 

Category does auto add to footer menu.

Tax Rules - Zip codes can still only be input as a range, For US this needs to be changed to give the ability to input as a list. We have many destination states where tax laws state that tax must be collected at point of delivery (destination) and with the zip codes for many counties with varying surtax rates overlap a range input is just not acceptable.

FO HTTPS  - Https still breaks however now it seems to be two thumbs that are not even displayed within the pages.

Looking at this one a little more revealed that it is the Category thumbnails causing the issue deleting these fixed the HTTPS issue.

The page at 'https://team-shepherdusa.com/shop16/quick-order' was loaded over HTTPS, but displayed insecure content from 'http://team-shepherdusa.com/shop16/img/c/3-0_thumb.jpg': this content should also be loaded over HTTPS. quick-order:237
The page at 'https://team-shepherdusa.com/shop16/quick-order' was loaded over HTTPS, but displayed insecure content from 'http://team-shepherdusa.com/shop16/img/c/3-1_thumb.jpg': this content should also be loaded over HTTPS. quick-order:237
event.returnValue is deprecated. Please use the standard event.preventDefault() instead.
Edited by tdr170 (see edit history)

Hi,

Thanks for your test.

Point by point:

Products: You're right, our filter by category that allow ordering your product has to be fixed. 

You already can: in your BO, filter your product page by the category you want to order. Once it is filter, a new column name "Position" will appear and you can change the positions.

Product entry: that's because it's the most used tax on demo product. Clear your catalog and you'll see that "No tax" will be the default. Create then your own product and the default will become your most used tax (or No tax).

Category Product: That's exact, we're not adding automatically on the top menu and we don't intend to. You have to customize your menu with the "top menu" module

Tax Rules & FO HTTPS: I've forwarded those point to the right person, we'll look into that.

Thanks for the reply, and answers to the testing issues.

Product position - Thanks I now see how to change position, I guess it goes without saying that I never filtered products during my initial testing. (wonder if it would help to have a note somewhere with a hint to this)

Product Tax - Makes since as you are correct that I am testing with the Demo products, I had stated this same issue during testing of Alpha and never received a reply, Thanks.

Category Product - If that's how it is OK but I am not the first to bring this one up so maybe once again a note stating that fact would be helpful to other especially those using Prestashop for the first time. (user friendly?)

Tax rules - This has been an ongoing issue since the release of 1.5 and the reason my actual store is still using 1.4.

Https -  As stated above if you delete the thumbnails from the Women's category HTTPS loads fine.

Here are a few more issues I am seeing with 1.6 Beta:

Category block - I use the category block in the left column not the top menu as I have way to many categories to fit neatly in the top menu.

The first issue I had was the depreciating nature of the categories block as shipped with 1.6 so I overwrought the files with those from 1.5 and now the menu does not depreciate as you go deeper into the sub categories.

This makes navigating much easier and less cumbersome when using the left column menu.

Cart block - I prefer the cart in the left column as I have had in previous versions when transplanting the module to the left column there are several issues.

As you can see in this pick the cart is out of position and not sure as of this writing how to fix.

post-310220-0-70299700-1393612039_thumb.jpg

Now If you remove/unhook the cart from the header/top of pages the pop up window that should appear after adding a product to the cart displays embedded on the page.

After removing from Pages header:

post-310220-0-32757300-1393612311_thumb.jpg

post-310220-0-05487800-1393612336_thumb.jpg

After removing from Top of pages the header cart is removed as well as the text but the left column still displays the broken text and not the cart as in image 3.

Home text editor - The logo still not showing in the config section so no way to delete the Ipods that show on the FO.

Not enough hooks I like this at the top of my Home page as I use this to say welcome along with a few notes and a link to the Dealer application.

Edited by tdr170 (see edit history)

IE8 - While testing today I had a look at the FO with IE8 and there seems to still be some issues with the the and this browser as you can see in the pics below none of the icons are displayed.

They display fine in Chrome.

post-310220-0-10165700-1393632415_thumb.jpg

post-310220-0-27925800-1393632424_thumb.jpg

Category entry - Categories still do not auto add to top menu, I can add them manually through the configuration. 

Category block - I use the category block in the left column not the top menu as I have way to many categories to fit neatly in the top menu.

Hi tdr170. Firstly, I appreciate the testing you've been doing here, a lot of useful points being raised.

However, the point made in your second statement shows why the suggestion in your first statement (auto-add of categories to top menu) is not a good idea. Lucas is right to say that the top menu should remain manually configurable.

Cheers, Dave

Hi tdr170. Firstly, I appreciate the testing you've been doing here, a lot of useful points being raised.

However, the point made in your second statement shows why the suggestion in your first statement (auto-add of categories to top menu) is not a good idea. Lucas is right to say that the top menu should remain manually configurable.

Cheers, Dave

While I understand the thought behind this not sure it's a good one. 

When adding categories and sub categories the idea of having to then manually add all of them to the menu just seems cumbersome.

When I add categories and so on they are auto added to the column menu so what really is the difference between the two other then location.

Just my opinion and we all know what that is.

Testing Issues (or in this case an observation)

Paypal Module - When testing an order I noticed what I will call a strange behavior in the way prices are passed to Paypal.

Notice in the first pic below that there is a Total Products - Shipping - Item total - Tax = Total

Then in the second pic I used a voucher and now the Shipping is added to the Total Products, The total is correct but thought this worth mentioning.

post-310220-0-25818000-1393690833_thumb.jpg

post-310220-0-39290600-1393690845_thumb.jpg

When adding categories and sub categories the idea of having to then manually add all of them to the menu just seems cumbersome.

When I add categories and so on they are auto added to the column menu so what really is the difference between the two other then location.

You seem to be making quite an assumption that every merchant wants to display every category on the top menu as well as in the category block - I don't think that's the case. The category block is specifically to do with categories, so you would expect to see the whole category structure there.

However, the purpose of the top menu is different - it's there to support a number of different types of entry, hence you need the manual control over that. Otherwise you'd end up auto populating with all product categories, all CMS categories, all manufacturers, etc.

In fact there is auto population of categories in the top menu, into the entry called Home. You could relabel that to All categories or similar, and leave other menu entries for the variety of things people want to put there.

Cheers, Dave

You seem to be making quite an assumption that every merchant wants to display every category on the top menu as well as in the category block - I don't think that's the case. The category block is specifically to do with categories, so you would expect to see the whole category structure there.

However, the purpose of the top menu is different - it's there to support a number of different types of entry, hence you need the manual control over that. Otherwise you'd end up auto populating with all product categories, all CMS categories, all manufacturers, etc.

In fact there is auto population of categories in the top menu, into the entry called Home. You could relabel that to All categories or similar, and leave other menu entries for the variety of things people want to put there.

Cheers, Dave

Not assuming anything just telling it as I see it, everyone has an opinion and is entitled to it.

I see it differently that does not make it correct and neither does your opinion.

Cheers 

Tod

1.6 Beta Testing Issues:

Theme configurator - When running live configuation themes 6,7,8 and 9 are incomplete, what I noticed was in the footer area.

The background for these themes is listed as  ../img/footer-bg.png,  -  Theme2 is listed as ../img/footer-bg2.gif. 

footer-bg.png is the standard footer background and exist in the themes img directory while the footer-bg1,2,3 and 5.gif are in the modules img directory.

Not assuming anything just telling it as I see it, everyone has an opinion and is entitled to it.

I see it differently that does not make it correct and neither does your opinion.

Cheers 

Tod

Tod, you posed the question: 'what really is the difference between the two other then location'. I tried to provide you with an answer.

Whether you accept that or not is entirely your prerogative, as is the case for anyone else reading the thread.

Cheers, Dave