"Move Images". What is this and how does it work?

Before I realized it I had enough products and images on my site to go well over 12000 images.  I noticed there was the option to move images:

Move images

PrestaShop now uses a new storage system for product images. It offers better performance if your shop has a very large number of products.

picture.gif Move images
You can choose to keep your images stored in the previous system - there is nothing wrong with that.
You can also decide to move your images to the new storage system: in this case, click on the \"Move images\" button below. Please be patient, this can take several minutes.

After moving all of your product images, for best performance go to the product preferences tab and set "Use the legacy image filesystem" to NO.

How does this work?  Does it work?  Unfortunately I cannot currently manually backup all the images because my host only allows 10000 files to be viewed through a FTP client.  Will this new file system lessen the number of files per folder?  Will it still be able to be backed up via FTP client?  Will there be any problems if I have to upgrade to a new prestashop version?

I am currently using prestashop version 1.4.9.0

Edited by The D-Man (see edit history)