Using two themes with multistore option causes big problems

Hello

On my development site, i have installed PS1.5.6.2 with 2 themes installed with multishop.

I find that no two themes can really ever work together. Some are purchased from Themeforest and some directly from prestashop addons.

If you have more than 2 themes installed (including default)  and If you switch the themes back and forth you will see that a lot of the modules overwrite each other and often times display two sets of megamenus.

I know that each theme is installed in its own folder, but what about the modules?  For example when i installed the second theme, it said blockmegamenu has already been detected. So now when i load the site (multistore or no multistore) it shows 2 set of menus. Footer is all over the place and most of the css is out of whack.

Lucky i did this test on a development server rather than a live site.  I had a feeling that running two themes especially modern themes would not be possible.

How does PS say in the documentation that you can switch between themes so easily.  I am planning to set up a multistore environment, and i find the only way to go is to use the same theme for both stores, but this is not practical.

How are you doing it? What is the best way to solve these themes overlapping issue?  

Can you have two global.css, i.e. one for each theme? that would make more sense.

Thanks!

Hi El,

To make things less complicated, i am not running a multishop as of yet. I want to test if two themes can run under the default store.

I find that when i switch the theme back to the default theme, the default theme display strangely, i.e. the megamenu is from the new theme, its all a hodgepodge of errors.  When i switch to the newly installed theme all is back to normal.

When i installed the second theme, i selected al the default options, everything was ticked.

It seems that the theme i installed (from theme forest, a highly rated theme for PS) cannot be used on a multistore.

Isn't that strange, why would a developer do that to us, and moreover why wouldn't they inform us that one cannot go back to the default theme.

Do i have any options? Before buying a new theme, how do i make sure that i can switch themes.

I know that they install in their own folder, but why would this happen?

Thanks.

Edited by ricky11 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi, I use 2 themes on my multistore install (Prestashop 1.6)

Initially it was one theme, I cloned it so I could customize each store differently.

Recently whatever I change in the second theme templates stopped appearing in front office.

At first it appeared with "a reasonable delay" .

Example : I can now put whatever I want in sitemap.tpl, the sitemap in front office page is still the same...

I don't get if there is a cache mechanism somewhere, or if my tpl is overriden by another one ... And which one ?!?

My work is almost done but I still have some small points to resolve.

Did anyone figure out precisely what is happening with themes & multistore ??

------------------ Edit ! One month later... -----------------------------

My theme problems were not linked to Prestashop but to a domain redirection :

The second store has his own domain name, and that redirection was supposed to be a simple redirection to the same Prestashop install, on a unique FTP.

Except it was not : a mysterious FTP space came with it, which I did not know about .

So the second store did not actually use the tpl files that I was modifying... Emptying the cache 1000 times was not enough ;)

After I nuked this "secret FTP" (and had a little conversation with my coworker responsible for this nightmare) everything was fine.

Edited by Rom Soul (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I am also having issues with Multistore with multi themes. I cloned the default theme using Filezilla. As the Admin area was not working correctly and gave me form errors when I tried to clone it.

Evertime I select a new theme in one store. The other store changes as well.

Hi gbnz,

I think your situation may mix 2 different problems : "creating a new theme by cloning the default one" and "activating 2 different themes on multistore"...

To eliminate the first problem, can you test, by activating on the main store theme 1 then theme 2, that the themes are :

- correctly installed : do they both appear in backoffice ?

- independent : one change in theme 1 (for example in css/global.css a flashy background-color) does not affect theme 2 ?

If these 2 tests lead to no solution, then your problem does look like a multistore problem, but I have no idea of a solution :(

Maybe you can try to repeat the operation on a fresh install ?

Sometimes a wrong step creates errors in the DB, and even if you think you cancelled it, that can compromise later steps ...

Edited by Rom Soul (see edit history)

• 9 months later...

to duplicate a theme here is an interested video :https://mypresta.eu/en/art/videos/how-to-duplicate-theme-in-prestashop-16.html
but I have an issue when installing the duplicated theme I use prestashop 1.61.2 and I use multishop option
I duplicate the theme to customize it for each shop
but when I enable the duplicated shop I have this error in the front office.I was have 500 errors but when I enable define('_PS_MODE_DEV_', true); I got this error

Fatal error: Class 'OvicLayoutControl' not found in /srv/data/web/vhosts/mywebsite/htdocs/tools/smarty/sysplugins/smarty_internal_templatebase.php(157) : eval()'d code on line 62