block categories doesn't show categories on single product detail page but on category pages only

prestamax

If I use a theme that has a right column on the single product page it is not possible to display block categories in this column. Only the headline is visible but the block doesn't show any categories even if "dynamic modus for subcategories" is disabled. So it doesn't seem to be possible to provide category navigation in the right or left column on product detail page via block categories module. Is this true?

Edited by prestamax (see edit history)

It seems that the block category module has become a subcategory block rather than a category block. It only shows subcategories on category pages. If I place the block category module on a page such as new arrivals, or any other page that is not a category page then no category will be visible. This is not actually what a category block is meant for, isn't it?

Hi Vekia,

you can see it on the following links. Block categories is in the right column first position. Dynamic mode for sub levels is disabled.

In the parent category you can see all available sub categories

http://cinemagie.de/en/3-women

As soon as you open a sub category again block category shows the relevant sub categories only
http://cinemagie.de/en/4-tops

As soon as you open the single product page block category doesn't show any category at all
http://cinemagie.de/en/tshirts/1-faded-short-sleeve-tshirts.html

If you click on New Products, you can only see the heading "Categories" but no category shows up
http://cinemagie.de/en/new-products

There is no way to show ALL categories if you want to provide a category navigation on all pages.

• Like 1

mkobur, If you look at your product detail page with firebug you will see that your product description is a full width description.

This seems to be a trend in many themes. I too prefer a sidebar at the product detail page.

You will need to adjust the width of the center column in order to give the left column some space.

Look here, this is the structure of your product detail page, the center column takes all the space. You need to remove the 950px width then the original width will apply.

2014-01-29_1858.png

mkobur, If you look at your product detail page with firebug you will see that your product description is a full width description.

This seems to be a trend in many themes. I too prefer a sidebar at the product detail page.

You will need to adjust the width of the center column in order to give the left column some space.

Look here, this is the structure of your product detail page, the center column takes all the space. You need to remove the 950px width then the original width will apply.

2014-01-29_1858.png

Dear prestamax, i edit this and got left column some space. Now how to add home tab module on left column. http://printpackandpost.net/home/170-stickers.html

Thanks

The home tab module is for the home page only. You need to hook the categories module to left column. You can do this if you go to modules => position. Here you will find a button at the top "transplant a module", then select the module and the hook DisplayLeftColumn

2014-01-29_2241.png

In prestashop 1.6 you will probably have the same problem like me that the product detail page won't show the categories. You can solve this by using the block categories module from the 1.5 version.

The home tab module is for the home page only. You need to hook the categories module to left column. You can do this if you go to modules => position. Here you will find a button at the top "transplant a module", then select the module and the hook DisplayLeftColumn

2014-01-29_2241.png

In prestashop 1.6 you will probably have the same problem like me that the product detail page won't show the categories. You can solve this by using the block categories module from the 1.5 version.

Now i want make befor position. now http://printpackandpost.net/home/219-executive-business-cards.html

• 1 month later...

global.css lin 9135 remove display:none;

#product #page #columns #left_column {
display: none;
}

in addition, make sure that you've got modules attached to left column.

my global.css doesnt seem to be that long or have this line? am I looking at the wrong file? (inside the theme/css/global.css)?

You do not need any modification of global.css just some configuration in your theme/module settings. Enable left or right column on product page in your theme settings (=> default-bootstrap => edit => scroll down and enable left or right column on product page and you are done. Check with your block categories module that it is hooked to left or right column and that you have disabled dynamic mode.

Thank you for your quick reply prestamax, however eventhough I have enabled left column and hooked to Displayleftcolumn and disabled dynamic, then I still dont get any category block in the category page :( is there anything I can have missed`? (am on local so cant share link)

The "viewed products block" is in the left column, but no category block :(

Edited by Law2602 (see edit history)

Have you checked if there is an exception in the block categories module for the product page?

If you go to modules => positions => displayLeft => blockcategories and click on "edit" you will see the list of pages and exceptions are marked blue. You can remove an exception with strg + click.

• Like 1

Have you checked if there is an exception in the block categories module for the product page?

If you go to modules => positions => displayLeft => blockcategories and click on "edit" you will see the list of pages and exceptions are marked blue. You can remove an exception with strg + click.

yes Prestamax, I have.. no blue markings :(

I am sure. Just tried to save it with dynamic on, and then with it off. no effect what so ever.. I do however not have any subcategories. I just need the ordinary categories shown

OMG it finally hit me! I had it set to "current" in root category - in the module setting. Which is why it wouldnt show anything in the category section, as I had no subcategories... DOH!

Well at least I can hope that someone else will learn from my mistake :)

Thanks for the help people!

Edited by Law2602 (see edit history)

Hi,

I have the same problem but in category page. In my case I don't think there's a css issue, the left column is displayed, I can see the cms module. But the category block is not loaded.

The hook is right and I didn't see any smarty if statemen that could block this module, I've checked the exceptions too...

Any clue @vekia?

Thanks! 

Edited by rinzlerx64 (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...

I solved it editing the file /themes/yourtheme/modules/blockcategories/blockcategories.tpl and replace:

{if $page_name == 'index'}

for

{if $page_name == 'index'  || $page_name =='category'}

With this feature you can put where you want. F.e: category, product, products-comparison, search, etc.

And now the blockcategories module appears on the left column of category page

You don't need to change the files of blockcategories anymore. Now there is a setting where you can disable dynamic mode. Then the categories block is like it was in 1.5. If you enable dynamic mode it shows subcategories only. You can do the switch in the backend now without touching code.

• 4 weeks later...