Old Mysql Pwd Database Server is not found.Please verify the login, password and server fields.DbPDO

I just spent a good amount of time trying to install Prestashop and thought I should share my experience tracking this error to help someone who might comeby it.

If you have tried over and over to install Prestashop and get stucked at trying to connect to the database, and if all of your database info is correct, then you might want to check if your hosting provider is not using old-passwords for mysql. The method to set password changed from 16 hex digits to 40 hex digits (plus an *) some years ago but some hosting providers might still be using it.

I included a few exception messages to nail it down, but now it´s all working. If you have access to mysql as a administrator, then you can change it, otherwise you might have to ask your hosting provider to do so:

To do it you will have to log into mysql and type the following:

mysql > set session old_passwords=0;

mysql > set password for 'whateveruser'@'whateverhost' =password('whateverpassword');

if you check the password within the mysql.user table you'll see that it has changed to 40 hex digits and an additional *.

That should do the trick. Just go back to the install.php page and be a happy prestashop user. :)

Cheers,

Ed