Free Shipping always shows in cart, even without free shipping?

Which version are u running?

Check that you have shipping price on zones / ranges

In 1.5+ you need to select an address (during checkout) to have shipping cost calculated...

1.5.6+ is experiencing weirdness after upgrade ... use next / next ... finish to have proper cost saved

I'm using 1.5.6. For instance: I select a product that I've set up with weight and dimensions for UPS as the only available carrier. We are connected online with UPS. Yet, when the product is put in the cart it says Free Shipping.

In checkout it says no carriers are available and no shipping is added. 

Does this have anything to do with being in "test" mode, not live? If so, how do I test?

OK, I see that UPS is working after the name/address is filled in. Hooray! But the customer doesn't see this in the floating cart. He sees Free Shipping! Can't have that......that's a letdown for the customer. I guess the only solution is to remove Free Shipping in tpl.

Unless there are other solutions?.....

OK, I see that UPS is working after the name/address is filled in. Hooray! But the customer doesn't see this in the floating cart. He sees Free Shipping! Can't have that......that's a letdown for the customer. I guess the only solution is to remove Free Shipping in tpl.

Unless there are other solutions?.....

Go to Localization, Translations and edit the Installed modules translations scroll down and find Module blockcart and change Free shipping! to something like $0.00 You should also do this for Front office translations - shopping-cart.