Request some "How to" Info Please - re- product attributes

This question has 2 parts:
#1 - I have several suppliers and each has many products, actually over 100, in which each product is available in a choice of 19 different color "finishes." These are special finishes and not just a color chart. The manufacture has supplied me with an image of just the finish choices. I do NOT have a separate image for each of the items in each of the color finishes available - so please don't suggest that I add a product for each color that each product is available in - that would be redundant, take too long, and thoroughly confuse the customer when they saw a hundred products, all the same, except for the color. :-S LOL
What I have done in the past with a different shopping cart (that will remain nameless) was to offer each of the items with a drop-down list of the color finish choices written in text form. When customers make their selection, it puts the color choice text into the shopping cart with the product so when I get the order, I know which color they want. However, I can not offer just a list of the color choices in text alone, but need to be able to "show" the customer the color finish choices image. WHERE and HOW can I put this image into the product page so that it will pop-up when the customer wants to look at the visual of the choices, where it is not an actual part of the page? :question:
#2 - What is the easiest way, and How do I, make a 'list' of the color finish choices for each product so that it appears with the product as something they must decide before the order can be placed? Would this be what Prestashop calls a "Feature?" that I must create? If so, do I need to list each of the finishes as a separate feature? or is there a way to just make a list of all the choices relative to each product and have it appear as a drop-down or radio button or something? :question:
If I 'must' add each color as an individual feature, this will become quite confusing to "me" since I have another supplier that also has a few hundred products with special finishes available to certain products. I need to be able to keep the options for any particular product WITH that product and not in a file that I have to remember which finishes or colors go with which product. :-/
Any insight, help, instructions, etc. for accomplishing this are GREATLY needed and VERY MUCH appreciated. :kiss: Thanks.

For #1
You could just make Finish or Color an attribute (See attributes under Catalog)

Then make one item, and go to the Attributes page, and you can add the colors there - it will be a drop down menu like you're used to. You can also add a picture for every attribute I believe.