How to update external paid modules

Hi,

I have to say that, while Prestashop is full of features for your shop, I hate the administration options and the update/upgrade system. For a user like me, coming from Wordpress, having such a mess of versions, having to be careful before updating it, because of plugins and themes incompatibilities, is really unbelievable. I'm using right now 1.5.5.0 but I don't know for sure if I should stay here, or keep upgrading as new releases come. Really scary.

Well, after the rant, my question:

As I said, I'm using PS 1.5.5.0. I have to paid modules that I want to update to the lastest release, but I cannot find any information about how to do it. Yes, the "official" ones just need one click to install, I know, but what happens with a module bought in another website? How should I update it? Because it's not detected automatically. Should I upload the new zip to the PS modules folder and replace it? This and the lack of documentation about it, both in the official PS site and in the modules websites really piss me off :(

For most modules the standard procedure is just go into the back office and install it like you would a new module. Some modules might have you place new manual overrides, but they should let you know if you have to.