credit card storage

Hello,

I am new to setting up an e-commerce site. So please bear with me if my question is basic. I did do a search of the forum before starting this thread.

If I link PrestaShop to a payment processor, when a user enters their credit card and other related information on my website, does this information get stored locally in the database on my web server? Or does Prestashop use it just for that transaction and there is no trace of that information after that?

The reason for my question is that if the credit card and other PFI (Personal Financial Information) is stored locally then I will have to get my website certified by a 3rd party auditor for PCI compliance, as it is a legal requirement.

Thank you in advance for your time and effort in replying.

Thank you for the response. That is good to hear. I have a related followup question:

How is a connectivity exception handled - for instance, lets say the connectivity between PrestaShop and the payment gateway is lost, or the connectivity between user and PrestaShop/website is lost? 

Also, in case of a declined credit card, will PrestaShop display a message to the user that the card was declined, etc?

Thank you