Free Gift Cart Rule - Huge issues when available for multiple products

I have 3 cart rules in place, as follows:

1. Buy 2 of product A, B or C and get a free gift
  2. Buy 4 of product A, B or C and get a free gift
  3. Buy 6 of product A, B or C and get a free gift.

All are set to highlight, no partial use (not sure if that applies to this type of rule?), 5000 uses. The product selection is used, with the products A, B and C selected. Free gift set in the actions.

Now, here is where the fun starts!

In the front end, I can add the products, in various orders, and see the cart link (at the top of my page) update and add in the free gift(s) after I add 2, 4 then 6 products (a mix of A,B and C).

Now, lets say I add one of Product A form the product page. Then I head to the cart. I update the quantity to 2. A free gift is added! So far, so good.

I go back to the product listings, and add one of Product B. I go back to cart, and update this to 3.

So now I have 5 products (2 of A, 3 of B) and 2 free gifts, looking OK so far.

Now, I go and add one of Product C to my cart (again this product is in the rule set) and BAM! No free gift!

6 products, from the 3 in the rule set, and only 2 free gifts.

There are other ways to trigger this, it seems real flakey and does different things at different times (although the run-through I just gave works perfectly for getting an erroneous cart)

Has anyone ever encountered anything like this before?

What is the cause of these issues?

I am running v1.5.4.0 - I know its a couple of versions behind, but unless an update will guarantee a fix, I need to stay on this version.

I'm hoping someone can help me out as this is a pretty big problem I need to be fixed.

Thanks!

Edited by mr_pablo (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

i also have problem on the free gift module. what i send 

buy any product under the root category, they have entire to have a gift A

buy any product under the root category, they have entire to have a gift B

buy any product under the root category, they have entire to have a gift C

buy any product under the root category, they have entire to have a gift D

buy any product under the root category, they have entire to have a gift E

i don't set highight and like the customer to pick the gift they like but when i click some of them once, i saw 2 gifts item. one is free and the another one charge the normal price. 

how can i fix this?