Non-techie, head-scratching aggravation!

Hi......without some tech skills I'm finding PS to be a series of head-scratching problems. I installed xampp and PS successfully the first time. I was able to do simple things like change logo, change slider images, add products, etc. But as soon as I tried to change background colors, adjust the layout, etc, the problems began.

The first thing I did after installing X and PS was to make a copy of PS on a disc and set that aside. Then I made another copy, renamed it, and tried to use it as the working default. I added that to themes in PS BO and selected it to be the template. Then I opened the themes folder on my computer, opened CSS in Notepad, and tried some tweaks to see what would happen (I wasn't able to get much response from Firebug). As soon as I saved the file the working copy in BO changed to a ? and I had nothing on my shop.

So I reversed the changes (I had copied anything I changed before I changed it so I could restore it). This did nothing. It made no sense.

After trying anything I could think of I decided to start over. I deleted/uninstalled PS and replaced it with the copy from the disc. That didn't do anything. So I removed PS again from my computer and re-downloaded it. That didn't do anything either. So in great frustration I uninstalled Xampp too. I figured if there is any chance to get back to normal, I would have to start completely from scratch.

Before I start again, I would like to ask for feedback. I have no idea what happened.

The problem for the non-techie is that the simplest problems are monumental roadblocks, and the simplest answers are not obvious.

Hi,

I have been scratching my head as well when reading your post... :)

I would like to clarify couple of things :

1-The first thing I did after installing X and PS was to make a copy of PS on a disc and set that aside.

By "making a copy of PS" do you mean just the default theme folder or the whole website (admin+all files+ Database SQL) ?

2-Then I made another copy, renamed it, and tried to use it as the working default. I added that to themes in PS BO and selected it to be the template?

Did you change the folder name ? 

Why don't you just modify the original default theme?

3-Then I opened the themes folder on my computer, opened CSS in Notepad, and tried some tweaks to see what would happen (I wasn't able to get much response from Firebug).

4-As soon as I saved the file the working copy in BO changed to a ? and I had nothing on my shop.

Didn't understand what you mean by that ?

5-What is your final goal of all this ?

Do you want to adapt the default theme (CSS, Font, color,display ..... )? 

Hello, and thanks for the feedback.......

1-The first thing I did after installing X and PS was to make a copy of PS on a disc and set that aside.

By "making a copy of PS" do you mean just the default theme folder or the whole website (admin+all files+ Database SQL) ?

The whole website.

2-Then I made another copy, renamed it, and tried to use it as the working default. I added that to themes in PS BO and selected it to be the template?

Did you change the folder name ? Yes

Why don't you just modify the original default theme? I believe it was in Nemo's tutorial that it was suggested strongly to make a copy, rename it, and use that, saving the original unmodified.

3-Then I opened the themes folder on my computer, opened CSS in Notepad, and tried some tweaks to see what would happen (I wasn't able to get much response from Firebug).

4-As soon as I saved the file the working copy in BO changed to a ? and I had nothing on my shop.

Didn't understand what you mean by that ? I changed some CSS in the copy theme that I was using, by going into the themes-copy-css folder. After I saved the changes and refreshed, my FO went blank, and the theme image in the BO changed to a question mark.

5-What is your final goal of all this ?

Do you want to adapt the default theme (CSS, Font, color,display ..... )? Yes, but I had understood that I should use a copy instead of the original. And I'm just guessing that this is done in the themes-default-css folder.

Thanks for your help. If I had the money I would hire a pro, but we have too many other overhead bills right now. If I can figure out how to do something myself, I have to.

It is recommended to copy the default theme if you are already online.

But you are starting from zero so you can just directly modify and edit the CSS in theme/default.

It is not a big deal to edit the CSS.

If you start to edit TPL and PHP then it is important to make a copy.

In BO --->Advanced parameter -----> performance  You need to activate "Force Compile" and "No cache" while in production to see the modification

PM me if you want me to have a quick look at it because it should be working just fine.

I wish I had known about the "Force compile and No cache". I've seen those terms in searching the forums, but I didn't connect the dots. This is part of the learning curve. I've already deleted/uninstalled everything, including xampp, so I'll have to start over. Not a big deal, just eats up our wireless data plan.

We've done a fair business for our products on Yahoo Stores for 3 years. I significantly modified the site with html and CSS, so I can do a few things. But the Yahoo solution is so limited. PS has unlimited potential to grow a site, and alot of built-in features that Yahoo doesn't. And we have to get away from the commissions and monthly fees. People who have never run a business don't understand how each small expense adds up.

You can see the site below. The only stylistic thing about it that we might copy to PS is the header. Everything else, we want to take in a different direction. That's why I wanted to start playing with the default locally to see what I could do.

http://theurbanfarm.com/

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.......very much appreciated.

You are right, Prestashop allows us to have full control of our business and no more commission. Except the commission for credit card payment as usual but this may change with Bitcoin going mainstream.

Then we will 100 % independent.

If you are looking to change theme you can buy cheap ones at http://themeforest.net/

I use this theme on my website www.steviacity.com . It changes a lot from the default theme and it's responsive (desktop, tablet, smartphone)

http://themeforest.net/item/perfectum-premium-responsive-opencart-theme/4264779?WT.ac=search_item&WT.seg_1=search_item&WT.z_author=dedalx