Just starting default template modification question.

Urbanfarmer

Hi......I want to try my amateur hand at customizing the default template (colors, layout, changing block size, etc). I use Firebug to look at some of the code. I have started to look into the files themselves and am reading the tutorials. But in the developers' tutorial it says...."Do not ever edit PrestaShop's own files; always build your code into modules in order to facilitate updates."

And in some of the files themselves it says......"Do not edit or add to this file if you wish to upgrade PrestaShop to newer versions in the future."

So how do we make changes? I don't know how to build a module, and I imagine I will want to upgrade in the future. So it seems that I am between a rock and a hard place!?

Please advise. Thanks..........

Hi Urban,

There is some difference in modifying a template/theme and 'core files' of prestashop. The template is mostly about layout, decoration of the pages, the core files is more about the functionality behind the shop.

Templates or themes, you can change more easily without many problems in upgrading (up till a certain level...), as they are more or less separated from the functionality. (Of course, when functionality changes, fields get added, etc, this may have effect on your layout, so it's not 100% separated)

This said, everyone wants to distinguish their shop from the default layout, be it with colours, a different layout, background etc. The best you can do is make a copy of the default theme.

http://doc.prestashop.com/display/PS15/Creating+your+own+theme

When upgrading, the default theme might get overwritten, so therefore having your own copy ensures your changes won't get lost. From there, do what you intended to do (change colours, graphics etc.

Anything in the themes/<your theme folder> wont get touched by upgrades etc. 

Beware, when upgrading, ALWAYS make sure you backup your old shop (files and database) and thoroughly check your shop after the upgrade. If you notice some problems in your shop. It may be that new/changed functionality demands upgrading of your theme, so then you should check if it's only certain pages that give problems (the shopping cart with the dynamic animation etc. gave sometimes problems, adding double items in the cart (visually, not for real) etc. and only upgrade these files, or that a full overhaul is better.

Normally WITHIN a main version (1.5.1, 1.5.2, etc) the default theme will normally not change a lot, so mostly when moving on to a higher main version (1.4->1.5->1.6* etc) the need for changes pops up. 

Hope this helps,

pascal

*1.6. is in the making, not released yet