Default language front office not working

Hi,

I've searched and found many topics with the same problem, but none of the advice given has solved my problem.

I'm currently using prestashop 1.5.6.0

I have been adapting a custom theme for the last few days now, and since two days I started to "try" and complete the dutch translation.

At one moment, I found a download on this forum, and after importing this language pack, my default frontoffice language will not stick to dutch anymore, no matter what I do and try.

I set my default frontoffice language in : Localization > Localization > Configuration.

I have tested this also with the untouched default theme, and it also behaves the same. My shop now defaults to english no matter what.

I clear my browsers cache everytime I try to reset the language.

In performance in the backoffice, my smarty cache is off, force compilation is selected, and I clear the smarty cache every time just to be sure.

I also regenerated my .htaccess file.

Everytime when I change the default language I see that the MySQL database is updated successfully in the ps_configuration table. The value of the PS_LANG_DEFAULT row is reflected as it is set inside the prestashop interface.

Inside modules > positions, I have the Language block attached to my displayHeader and to my displayTop, but ideally if and when the default language sticks, I whish to remove it from the displayTop.

If I choose a language in the frontoffice from the Language block, my language chages as it should.

What might I be doing wrong. I've searched all over the place, but have no idea what is causing this.

I would be grateful for any tips.

Pete

Thank you for your reply.

I have regenerated the .htaccess file multiple times with turning on and off the friendly urls.

I delete the .htaccess file, and turn on friendly urls. This recreates a .htaccess file with many rules inside.

I throw away the .htaccess file and turn off friendly urls, and this recreates the default .htaccess file successfully.

I have also tested mod_rewrite and it is working, although my server is not Apache, but Litespeed.

Prestashop tells me that mod_rewrite is not enabled on my server, but it is.

I always delete my cookies, but I also use a separate firefox browser set to private (no cookies), and it behaves the same.

To be sure it is not locally cached somehow, I also test through a remote VPN connection on a windows server, but still the same behaviour.

I am certain that a few days ago, the default language would stick, but not anymore..

anything else I can try ?

a small update,

I'm almost certain this mod_rewrite thing is causing this.

with an exact backup of the site on my local mamp the default language is working as it should.

Still does not solve my problem though, and why it worked perfect for a few days...

Thanks for your help El Patron.

It seems there are more people with the same problem on the Litespeed forum.

The .htaccess file that prestashop creates is not working on the Litespeed server it seems. I'll see if I can find a solution and post it here (I have also seen this problem mentioned on this forum from litespeed users).

Thanks for your help El Patron.

It seems there are more people with the same problem on the Litespeed forum.

The .htaccess file that prestashop creates is not working on the Litespeed server it seems. I'll see if I can find a solution and post it here (I have also seen this problem mentioned on this forum from litespeed users)

I think you have figured out the problem and look  forward to learning how you resolved.  I did some searches, basic advice (read between the lines) is while you can run ps on litespeed, you are better off moving to apache.  Good luck!