[SOLVED] USPS trouble

I'm using the USPS module that came with Prestashop v1.5.5 and I'm getting the following errors:

forbbiden.gif Prestashop could not connect to USPS webservices :
Error 80040b1a : Authorization failure. You are not authorized to connect to this server.
delivery.gif Connect to USPS Module Statuswarn2.pngConnect to USPS is not configured yet. You must:
module_install.png 1) Fill in USPS User ID and orignation Zip Code in the "General Settings" form
module_install.png 2) Select you available delivery services
warn2.png 3) Webservice test connection : Error 80040b1a : Authorization failure. You are not authorized to connect to this server.

When I registered at the USPS website for a API key I got two things back from the post office. I got a Username and a Password.  This module is only looking for an API number.  What do I give it?  Or did I register for the wrong thing?

Thank you!

Thank you qualifoodfaster.  For anyone else out there having this issue.... unlike paypal that lets you use your account in "sandbox" mode for some reason the USPS doesn't think an account in testing mode should have access to any information.  So you have to call them on their 800# and get them to activate your account.

One question they asked was did I want address verification and address label printing from within PrestaShop.  Does anyone have experience with this from within the backoffice or is this not a function that PrestaShop can do?

Thanks again!

• 5 weeks later...

Got the process down. This was a pain and some of the USPS site developer instructions are actually incorrect and confusing. Providing this info, hope it helps others.

1. First, go to the USPS and register for a Webtools API. https://www.usps.com/business/web-tools-apis/welcome.htm? They will send you an email with all your account information. After your account is set up, it is on a testing server. You cannot connect through Prestashop module.

2. You must run tests first before they will move you to a production server. Here is where the issue is and where most people get stuck. The developer guides have XML code that didn't work or are outdated. After digging, finally found code that worked here https://www.usps.com/business/web-tools-apis/service-standards-and-commitments.htm. Run a minimum of 2 tests. I ran 4 to be sure.
NOTE: For a couple of the codes provided you have to replace "SERVERNAME/PATH" with the correct path they sent you, usually, "production.shippingapis.com/ShippingAPITest.dll" or "secure.shippingapis.com/ShippingAPI.dll".

3. Then call them at 1-800-344-7779 (7:00AM to 11:00PM ET), with the registered email and Username, ask them to move the account to the live production server. They will be able to confirm that you have completed the required tests.

4. Your account information will now work in Prestashop.

Good luck

Daniel

Edited by Dougadanny (see edit history)