[Solved] Help: SmartyCompilerException when clicking "Add to cart"

When selecting product combination (any product, any combination) and clicking "Add to cart",  I get the following message in the "quick-order" page (debug mode is active):

Fatal error: Uncaught exception 'SmartyCompilerException' in /Users/foo/foobar/foobum/freezeme/shop-new/tools/smarty/sysplugins/smarty_internal_templatecompilerbase.php:667 Stack trace: #0 /Users/foo/foobar/foobuml/freezeme/shop-new/tools/smarty/sysplugins/smarty_internal_templateparser.php(3144): Smarty_Internal_TemplateCompilerBase->trigger_template_error() #1 /Users/foo/foobar/foobum/freezeme/shop-new/tools/smarty/sysplugins/smarty_internal_templateparser.php(3209): Smarty_Internal_Templateparser->yy_syntax_error(10, '?') #2 /Users/
freezeme/shop-new/tools/smarty/sysplugins/smarty_internal_smartytemplatecompiler.php(105): Smarty_Internal_Templateparser->doParse(10, '?') #3 /Users/foo/foobar/foobum/freezeme/shop-new/tools/smarty/sysplugins/smarty_internal_templatecompilerbase.php(206): Smarty_Internal_SmartyTemplateCompiler->doCompile('{*?* 2007-2013 ...') #4 /Users/foo/foobar/foobum/freezeme/shop-new/tools/smarty/sysplugins/smarty_internal_template.php(187): Smarty_Internal_TemplateCompilerBase->compile in /Users/foo/Sites/foo/freezeme/shop-new/tools/smarty/sysplugins/smarty_internal_templatecompilerbase.php on line 667

any idea what mat cause this?

Edited by AppleEater (see edit history)

hello

it looks like problem with theme compilation. it mean that somewhere you use probably wrong syntax. i suppose that here: 

doCompile('{*?* 2007-2013 ...')

it's a header of some .tpl file but it is hard to say which one, there is no information about it.

have you changed some .tpl files ?

hello

it looks like problem with theme compilation. it mean that somewhere you use probably wrong syntax. i suppose that here: 

doCompile('{*?* 2007-2013 ...')

it's a header of some .tpl file but it is hard to say which one, there is no information about it.

have you changed some .tpl files ?

Thank you Vekia, this has been very helpfull.

I managed to track the error to shopping-cart.tpl, where i modified the following line:

<p style="display:none" id="emptyCartWarning" class="warning">{l s='Your shopping cart is empty.'}{l s='Return to'} <a href="{$link->getPageLink(‘index’)}">{$shop_name|escape:'htmlall':'UTF-8'}</a></p>

Basically I wanted to add to the standard message saying "Your shop is empty" a reference link to the shop home page.

Can anyone advise what's wrong in this line?