grouping individual products

tdc666

hi. i've done some searching to try and find answers to my questions, but nothing really addresses exactly what i'm trying to do here, at least nothing i could find.

like a lot of people who use prestashop, i have a small business that i'm trying to grow. we sell aftermarket driving lights for motorcycles and provide bracket kits for different makes and models of motorcycles.

we sell our lights on their own as a "universal" kit, or you can give us your make and model and we can provide a customized bracket kit for your bike. 

i need to find a way to be able to have our lights on our site so that you can select your year, make and model and the website will combine the "universal" kit with the appropriate bracket kit.

these aren't "attributes" or "values", as you can also buy the bracket kits for different make and models individually, they are their own products. 

is there a good way of combining products with prestashop? hopefully a way without me having to spend a bunch of money on a module?

i've built sites with zencart before and i know i can do this with them, but i much prefer prestashop and would rather use it if i can. 

Edited by tdc666 (see edit history)

after messing with prestashop some more it would almost seem that what i'm after is the "pack" feature, does this sound right? 
i have light A and bracket B, i want my customer to be able to buy either on their own, or be able to buy them together as a "kit" for their specific motorcycle. this seems right, yeah?

now to figure out how to make it so the customer can easily find the correct pack for their application..

another issue; every time i update the quantity of a pack it resets itself to a product. i have to go back to the information tab, re-select the "pack" radio button and re-build the pack's contents. this is how it's supposed to work? why?

hi mate,

i think what you are looking for is bundles. Magento which we are currently on uses bundles.

If you want to help, vote for bundles on the link below at the forge. the vote button will allow you to vote once you have created an account. it is at the top right usually.

http://forge.prestashop.com/browse/PSCFV-2094

These are some examples of bundles. Each of the options is a product in our shop.

http://www.pmtuning.co.uk/pm-tuning-gilera-runner-italjet-dragster-125cc-180cc-x-tech-expansion-chamber-4336

http://www.pmtuning.co.uk/pm-tuning-38mm-monster-forks-gilera-runner-125cc-180cc-200cc-1997-2006

shoulders