Will not install

There seems to be an installation problem with this program.

I noted also that OpenSourceCMS, the best repository of open source cms and ecommerce programs has not listed PrestaShop because they experienced installation problems as well.

http://www.opensourcecms.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2132&Itemid=190

I hope somebody is looking into this problem.

~chris

I think just from the forum stats there are plenty of people with PS installed successfully.

It is by far the easiest sofware that I have installed in a long while.

What exactly is the problem you were faced with during install old_mac?

We work on a test server and then install on a public server. We have tracked the problem down to permissions. On the Mac server we can install in 30 seconds. When we unzip PS all the permissions are set correctly on the installation. No permissions need changing.

On the public server that runs Linux and the same PHP 5.2.6, we must change a large number of permission, many of them recursively, 5 or 6 levels.

We develop our sites on the test server (a Mac). When finished we dump the database and move the finished Shop to the public server. We then do a clean installation of the database structure and load our dumped data.

With PrestaShop this fails. I can't manually move the database and the PS application from the Mac to the Linux server. We simply get a a blank window. The permission settings used on the Mac don't work on Linux and visa-versa.

The only way I can get this to work is to do a clean install on the public server and make all our changes there as well. While this is OK it is not ideal and working with Cspan File Manager and FTP client is cumbersome to say the least.

~chris