[Solved] Paypal Payment Error - funds there...

Hi All,

I've been all over this forum and there are a lot of people asking the same question, but no good answers. So I'm going to beat the cow on the head about it.

What I've done:

1. Installed the Paypal v1.4 module that comes with Prestashop 1.1.
2. Created a business and personal account using the sandbox.
3. Modified the Paypal module with the Seller paypal email and used Sandbox mode.
4. Modified the paypal profile entries as directed by the module and in the wiki. Including bypassing the Paypal shipping in favor of the Prestashop shipping.
5. Ensured that all my currencies were correct on both Prestashop and Paypal.
6. I don't have any taxes set up in Paypal.

When I place an order:

1. i get an email saying that there is a problem with my payment
2. In Prestashop, it says there's a problem and that I was paid $0.00
3. In the Seller account, the transaction is "Under Review"
4. When I look under the "Details" of the transaction, a fee is withdrawn.
5. In the Buyer account the transactin is "Completed".

My preference is that the customer get an email saying "thank you for your order" and prestashop to get the good information.

I'm wondering if since a fee is withdrawn at Paypal whether the fact that the amount that would be deposited and the amount apparently expected would have anything to do with it?

Does anyone know why it's doing this and what I have to do to fix it? I would be very appreciative of any help.

Thanks!

-Karin

The "under review" happens in real life too - it usually means that the funds are being drawn from a bank account, and the usual result is an eCheque payment etc.

All the 1.4 module looks for is a successful "normal" completed paypal instant payment notification - anything else and it doesn't work I'm afraid.

I started work on the Paypal v2beta module of mine (you'll find it on my site) as a work-around to let the module gracefully handle the other notifications that PayPal might send, and also to get around a problem whereby the order isn't even created until your store receives an IPN response from PayPal - this can be 10 seconds to 24hrs after the customer has paid -- until it arrives at your store the products remain in the cart, and no order is visible in the store to you or your customer (and neither are any emails sent).

I understand that the PayPal API module in 1.2 does work well though, so it may be worth investigating that.

Paul

That would be great! Many people come on here, ask questions then disappear - so the next person never gets the benefit of the experience :-)

I keep meaning to write an article on how it all works and why it doesn't always do what you expect - I think it might be useful for folks. I also meant to revisit my version and update it with some of the enhancements people have made to it :cheese:

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I'm going to back up here.

First, I'm still not quite sure what your Paypal module actually does, Paul. I dropped the code in but I still get the error. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong? does just dropping the code in work?

So far...issue one - I needed to set up a test account using the same email address as my sandbox address. That got rid of the error email.

I'm still getting the message in the back office of Warning: $0.00 paid instead of $200.00!

1. Will paypal ever send a message saying that it's been paid?
2. What is the process to deal with this? what do I tell my client?
3. And I'm very concerned about the fact that although this product is in play, even if in error, it's still available. It's a unique, only one available product. And I can order it with another account.

Can anyone please walk me through how to deal with this issue? I would really really appreciate it.

Thanks!

-Karin

OK Karin, which module from my site are you using? The one I would suggest you use is: http://www.ecartservice.net/08092008/beta-v2-paypal-module-prestashop/

This one should add extra messages in the back office which may help us determine what is going wrong. I would suggest that you uninstall the current version and then install that one (the above module completely replaces the default one) - as the install function does set up some required elements.

Paul

Hi Paul,

Yes! It worked! Ok, everyone. If you flip out the original Paypal module and use Pauls Paypal Module:

http://www.ecartservice.net/08092008/beta-v2-paypal-module-prestashop/

1. Uninstall the original module
2. Replace the whole module with Pauls code
3. Reconfigure the module - you can use the Sandbox now (if you were having issues)

When you run a test:

The customer receives a "Preparation in progress" status in their account
The customer receives a confirmation email.
In admin, you get a preparation in progress - Awaiting Paypal Payment status
The Total paid actually reflects the price
AND the quantity available also goes down properly and the unique product can't be ordered a second time.

YES! Thank you! Woo Hoo! But I don't see a Donate button on your site...when it's time to give out the donations....

-Karin

Hi David,

Just to let you know, I'm using V1.1 and the module works well there. I left the settings on the Paypal account as specified for the original module. I think Paul took the original and made it more robust for us. Yeah!

-Karin

Paul, some feedback on beta 2.

The moment a customer clicks on payment method (paypal) the order is generated and they recieve 2 emails. Order History/Preparation and Order Confirmation. However, if the customer changes his mind at the paypal site and either returns to the shop or kills the order, the emails have already gone - and even include the method of payment (paypal) implying that they have paid.

If you change your mind and return to the shop, the cart will empty (good) however your order history remains with "awaiting payment" which you cant change. As a customer you would have to re-order (nervously) or live with this reminder that yo haven't paid for something yet that you decided you didn't want (or until someone in the back end cancels it).

Is it possible to turn of the additional "preparation email"? And only receive email (front and back end) if you have placed/paid for the product?
Is it possible to remove the comments about the "redirection" when you choose paypal and the "your cart has something in it" when you return from paypal having not paid. These things (and the emails saying i have ordered something and paid via paypal, when i haven't) would seem to dissuade customers.

Otherwise, i love the module. Does your final release 1 have these features? Perhaps it would be better for my store?

Yes, Paul, I'm looking forward to the answer to Davids questions too. It really is a great module.

I am a bit concerned about the disclaimer about it not being used in production as a Beta product. Do you have plans to finalize it soon?

thank you so much Paul!

-Karin

• 5 weeks later...

Paul, thank you for your fix, it works nearly perfectly for me...
Nearly because when redirecting to PayPal (the amount from the shop is i.e. 190 EUR), in PayPal a customer has to pay 190,40 EUR. These little cents differ from price to price.
After spending couple of ours on this issue, I cannot figure out how it works out the numbers.
Also shipment is decreased from 6 EUR to 5,95 EUR.

I don't have any ideas no more..please help me!

THANK YOU FOR RESPONDING.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Folks!! I was working on PS 1.2.5 for two weeks now with Sandbox Paypal.

I faced all the issues I was reading on the Forum. I love PrestaShop. It seems to get buggy when payment gateway comes to picture due all those hard validations (We need validations to avoid fraud).

It seems that we need accurate step by step guide setting up payment gateway and bingo it all works fine.

1. The first issue I faced was that once I make my Paypal payment it takes me to Order History page instead of order confirmation and I see no order in the database.

This happened since my notify_url sent to Paypal was not accessible by Paypal. I was using hosts file entry in my local laptop testing prestashop and Paypal has no clue on how to access my notify_url page since it couldnt resolve the domain name.

2. Once I fixed the issue by using the actual public domain name, My orders were getting created but with Payment error. The backoffice gives me a warning "Warning: $0.00 paid instead of $73.05 !".

I figured out that I was using Paypal developer's a/c email address as Merchant. This is a mistake done by lots of developers while testing Prestashop. Create a new "Business" test account and "Personal" test account at developer.paypal.com and use the Business account as merchant ([email protected]) in Prestashop Admin > Payment > Paypal Configure >>
And Bingo everything works!!

• 4 months later...

I'm experiencing the same problem as described in this thread.

I am on Presta 1.1.05 and using Paypal Module v1.4. Thank you Paul C fo rmaking that V2 module available to everyone for free and I have downloaded it. Before implementing is tehre anything I should be aware of or checking in testing?

thanks

• 5 years later...
Guest locen

Hi, i use prestashop 1.6.0.9 and paypal 3.10.8. Paypal is europe version
In sandbox mode i see "awaiting paypal payment."
I maie thia test because after 17june paypal will update all security policies. If in sandbox modeni receive this status all will work fine?

Edited by locen (see edit history)