How to set different transportation prices to the items in my shop (Bookstore)?

• May 1, 2013 - 10:54 am --- My PrestaShop Version is : 1.5.1.0

• First of all, my excuses beforehand in case I don't do things the way one is supposed to in a forum. It's my first time and on top my knowledge on websites, Internet and the like is quite basic.

• My Prestashop is a bookstore where there are many different types of books as to prices and/or weight, so the transportation fees should vary accordingly.

• I've tried to set up the transportation fees book by book but after seeing the result (Free Delivery in all cases!...), decided to quit and expose my problem here to knowledgeable people.

• So, please, let me know what I should do so my books show the right delivery fees.

• I thank you very much. Muchas gracias.

• Saludos cordiales,
  • bisbymac.com

Edited by bisbymac.com (see edit history)

The first question to answer is, how does your carrier (i.e. the company that transports the books physically from you to the customer) charge you? Do they charge by weight, fixed price per package, fixed price per item etc.

N.B. There may be more companies that you can use, or more ways a carrier can charge you, each with their own advantages. (For example, carrier a can be cheaper for packages < 1kg, carrier B cheaper for packages >10kg etc). It's in both your and your customer's intrest to offer the cheapest shipping available (shipping price is a mayor decision point for many customers!). Therefore, you can add more carriers or carrier-options if needed.

Then you have to decide if you want to offer free shipping to your customers, and if so, to all customers, customers from a specific region (i.e. one or more countries). Then decide the criteria when you want them to offer free shipping (over 50$, three items or more, over 2kg etc.

Finally you can add some fixed 'administrative/fixed' cost to the price (for time spend, wrapping, box costs etc)

So there is your homework first. If you know the answers, first check the prestashop documentation on shipping here:

http://doc.prestashop.com/display/PS15/Managing+Shipping

If you can't find out how it works, please come back here and ask further specifics.

N.B. For price/weight ranges, the manual wrongly states about overlapping range values!

example: if you want to set up ranges like this:

0 grams up UNTIL 1kg

More than 1KG up UNTIL 2kg

more than 2 KG up UNTIL 3kg

do like this:

0 -1.001 price X

1.001-2.001 price Y

2.001-3.001 price Z

Why those strange numbers: because the upper value of a range is EXCLUSIVE, so 0-1.001 runs from 0 (INCL) up UNTIL 1.000 (INCL).

Just a word of caution :-)

My 2 cents,

pascal