(solved) 1.5.4 Back office tabs in French

I've just installed 1.5.4 and when I set the language to English (UK) I noticed that all the tabs have turned to French. This language is not installed so I dont know what has happened. I can speak French but my client can't so I really need to sort this out! Any ideas?

Edited by jen00 (see edit history)

I have exactly the same problem here. Another user said that they fixed by restoring the database, but I've never backed up the database to be able to restore it! It's very frustrating as a newbie to this, it's taken ages to get to the stage I am with my setup and now I may have to start again.

It's almost as if the translations don't have the English in them for the back office tabs etc.

I'm not sure if this is relevent but I see this error in back office translations admin access

%s module is installed in the database but its files are missing/incompatible.

No idea how to fix it though!

I think is a common problem and from what I can tell its been happening for ages. How can the French be 'hardwired' into the program when the language isnt even installed? I am getting really fed up with all the bugs with prestashop. I used to recommend it to others but not any more.

I've been trying all sorts to get the tabs back to English but no joy. I've wasted hours :wacko: Can anyone help? My website is almost finished so I dont want to have to reinstall.

Hello Benjamin.

If you change to English US or UK the tabs and drop down menus etc in back office still remain in French.

I have tried deleting and reimporting English US and UK. Changing to French and then back to US or UK and it makes no difference still French. Whatever language is installed the back office stays the same.

I really don't want to start again on my website as it would be a waste of days of work.

I tried that before - English Uk or USA and saved - menus still in French

and where is the French coming from I do not have that language installed!

When you go to My Preferences (top right)/ and change your the "Language" back to standard English. That worked for me.

Hi Benjamin.

I originally downloaded Prestashop and it was all OK. I think it occured after I deleted the English US, but I'm not 100% sure.

I have tried downloading the UK translation pack and also US as well. The My preferences makes no difference. If I select US or UK, the only 2 options I have in there the tabs and drop downs are still French.

It is just the tabs and dropdowns taht have the problem.

I even installed and selected the French pack, then disabled it and reselcted English UK and US but still French tabs and drop downs.

Thanks for your help.

No, I can see the issue. When I import the translations pack (1.5.1 [95% Completed]) and I upload it via the Localization>Translations>Add new Language Pack, I can see that the menu's are in French.

however, my issue was solved when I went to My Preferences and switched language back to standard "English"

It seems that is not the case for you.

It's 1.5.4 and I downloaded it from here. I installed it and am learning and working on it as I go.

It was a fresh install, I've never used Prestashop before and I created a new database for it etc.

Everything seemed to be going well until this happened.

It's almost as if the language isn't complete.

Hi everyone. I just wanted to add that my situation is the same as scruffygif. I've used Prestashop for several years now and I've never come across this. Its a fresh install of 1.5.4 with the default theme. It happened when I turned off English USA and set English UK as my language. No matter what I do I cannot get the tabs (and their submenus) to show in English. Its driving me mad!

Edited by jen00 (see edit history)

Hi Jen00, I think thats how my problem started. I do hope Benjamin may be able to come up with a fix as I really don't want to have to satart all over again.

I have English UK and US

Sorry French as well, but French is disabled. After one of my many attempts to fix it

I have English UK and US

Sorry French as well, but French is disabled. After one of my many attempts to fix it

I will look into this. What is strange is the fact that on a Fresh Install of 1.5.4, it is not acting the same as mine.. Download the GB (1.5.1 95%) from here http://www.prestashop.com/en/translations

And Add this gzip manually in Localization>Translations

Then go your My Preferences and set it to UK... Save it. Clear Cache. Is it French?

If so, then go back into Preferences and change it back to United States English. Save it and Clear cache?

Keep me posted. Thanks!

Si en espaniol

yes the menus change to Spanish

Hello everybody,

Can you try this.

1. Localization>Translations>Add Language

2. Add Spanish language.

3. Go to My Preferences and change language to Espanol

Does that work for you? At least to change it in Spanish?

Hi Benjamin.

Certainly my problems began after deleting US and I think that's the same for everyone.

Just tried the Spanish language as you suggested and yes the tabs and drop downs are in Spanish, so thats behaving correctly.

Went back to English UK and they are back to French!

Thank you for all your help.

Scruffy.

Hi, I'm also a newbie to Prestashop but I have the same issue 1.5.4.0. After disabling English (United States) in the Localization->Languages menu the admin menu and drop down meuns are in French. The other areas of the admin are however in English. I re-enabled English (United States) and the menu came back to English.

It almost looks like just the text in the Admin menu for English (United Kingdom) is in the wrong language - could it be that file translations/gb/tabs.php in the distribution set is wrong ? - it should be in English but is in French.

Ammendment to this post - database table ps_tab_lang is also affected. This table contains the terminology for menus etc in the different languages, It looks like file tabs.php is loaded into table ps_tabs_lang.

If you have the default setup of English UK and English US, copy the English values in the table rows to those in French - I used mySQL query browser, there are about 103 values to copy. A query like:

update prestashop.ps_tab_lang tl1, prestashop.ps_tab_lang tl2 set tl2.name = tl1.name where (tl2.id_tab = tl1.id_tab) and (tl2.id_lang = 2) and (tl1.id_lang = 1);

may do the trick.

Disclaimer and Remember - only works if you had disabled the language since removing the language removes the entries from the table according to the admin page). Also, this query wont necessarily work if you have added other languages as well although the principal of the issue I've described remains the same.

Edited by robbull (see edit history)

Yep that works - tabs back to English

though as it says if you have done translations on default theme you will lose them (I had a separate theme anyway)

WAIT (lol)

So, the problem was in the Enlgish Pack itself...

I think we have fixed it, not sure though.

Please try to go to Localization>Translation>Add or Update (ENGLISH) not English UK... and then modify the back office language and see if it works.

It worked for me!

• Like 1

Oh no I spoke too soon!

I was just sorting out my languages and disabled English US, didn't delete it. Tabs etc back to French! So I then tried to repeat Benjamin's solution, but it didn't work this time! This is crazy.

Ah got it back to English by actually deleting English US then reinstalling it and then performing the above.

I'm not gonna mess with languages anymore!

Edited by scruffygit (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Please can anyone help? I'm getting this message

Warning! Your PHP configuration limits the maximum number of fields allowed in a form: 1000 for max_input_vars.

Please ask your hosting provider to increase the this limit to 4555 at least. Alternatively, you can edit the translation file manually.C

Hi Herbalife, please make a new thread for a new topic. Also, this topic has been discussed many times on the forum. You max_input_vars value is too low. If you have access to change this value, you can. Alternatively, you can contact your hosting provider and they should change it for you.

If your hosting provider does not allow you to change this value then you can copy your files and database into a local host and then reimport once you are done with the translations.

Thanks Benjamin. I've sorted the other issue. However, I've followed your instructions and updated English (not GB) in the Translation area, but it tells me that all of the 'expressions' are empty. Do I have to manually input these please?

Hi Benjamin,

I followed a Presto-changeo tutorial and created a php.ini file that seems to have solved that issue. I wouldn't normally be particularly bothered about the back office being in French, but I've created my site on an old domain while I was waiting for the new domain, so need to migrate it now and my French isn't good enough!

http://presto-changeo.tumblr.com/post/17589539698/understanding-php-ini-how-and-why-you-need-one

Edited by Herbalife (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Benjamin

I'm encountering this problem too. I am sending a site live today and this has happened when I ran into a problem with the US language pack interfering - I'm using GB. I tried to delete the US pack but wasn't allowed, so I disabled it, then re-enabled it. All was working fine then except my BO went to French. I've tried to follow the advice given here, particularly in post #35, but it hasn't worked for me. Have you any advice?

Thanks

Hi RoPey,

when you display the admin page the texts for the menu tabs are read from the database. If you are seeing French in the tabs it therefore sounds like the tabs wordings in the database table for GB language are still in French.

The solution given by Benjamin in #35 using the localization -> translations menu is the best mechanism to update that database table. You can either:

• import a localization (the import process loads from files in the translation folder into the database) or,
  • copy from one language to another (for example, you can copy from English (default) to English (Great Britain).

However - if you import from the default installed GB transations folder the file called tabs.ph in that release of the distribution for GB language is wrong because it is in French. If you choose this option you need to replace the tabs.ph file with one that is in English before you import. One way would be to copy the tabs.ph from the EN folder or just edit the file yourself.

Hope this helps !

Rob

Hi robbull, thanks so much for taking the time to reply so comprehensively.

I'm probably being horribly slow on the uptake, but I'm just having a little trouble understanding this bit about tabs.ph files. Where are they and how do they relate to the database entries for the tabs? I see tabs.php files in the translations folder and they contain the menu tabs names, but if they're there, how does the database come into it.

Sorry for being pedantic about understanding this, but I really, really don't want anything to go wrong with the shop now.

Thanks again

Hi lydaqky

I'm not seeing the images you put in your post, can you try again...?

Hi RoPey,

as a proviso - I can understand your concern at a stage just prior to going live, so I would advocate taking a database backup and file backup before making changes !

In answer to your question; when you hit the admin page with the browser, the text in the tabs is read from the database. The tabs.php file is used by the localizations import process to load the text definitions of the tabs into the database.

When you refer to the import process, are you talking about the Add/Update a language section (which I thought was what was referred to in post #35 or the Import a language pack manually. I've copied the contents of my en tabs.php into the gb folder and run the Add/Update option and that hasn't made any difference.

If it's the Import a language pack manually is it OK just to import a tabs.php file without any of the other files? It refers to a zipped file.

Thanks for all your help, oh and I do backup, I'm a bit obsessive about it ;-)

Edited by RoPey (see edit history)

I'm still really interested in the answer to my last question since it'll be good to know for future exactly which option controls this. However, I desperately needed to get it sorted and so I've gone through the database table and changed them manually. It only took 15 minutes of careful editing. It probably would have taken much longer than that if I'd tried to come up with the SQL to do it ;-)

• 5 weeks later...

I had the same issue with Finnish translation. It seems that the earlier mentioned tabs.php is generated from the database table ps_tab_lang, not vice versa, when exporting the language. I solved it by changing French tabs in a localhost database table ps_tab_lang and then exporting the language to a fi.gzip, which I then imported to the production site.

Operating with localhost site enables also to translate without problems mentioned by Herbalife.

• 2 months later...

Hi, Benjamin :

I also have this issue and try your solution but can't done. Before I tried your way, my procedure is as below.

I import a language pack which download from prestashop web. After imported, I chose this language for back office. But it appeared much french words. Then I would like to change back to English(US) but the french words still exist. I imported the English(US) pack downloaded from prestashop web. But can't solve it. Then I found your way here and have tried it. When I click the bottom of "Add or update the language", there is an error message.

The archive cannot be extracted. Error while opening {.....httpdocs/translations/../themes/default/lang/en.php} in write binary mode.

May I know what's wrong with my panel. I just want it back to English. :(

WAIT (lol)

So, the problem was in the Enlgish Pack itself...

I think we have fixed it, not sure though.

Please try to go to Localization>Translation>Add or Update (ENGLISH) not English UK... and then modify the back office language and see if it works.

It worked for me!

• 2 months later...