Use .co.uk to UK viewers and .com for everyone else?

babyewok

I want Google to list both the .com and .co.uk domains for a website. Ideally I want the .co.uk to be shown to UK viewers and the .com to be shown to everyone else. Is it possible to do this? At current the site uses htaccess to redirect .com traffic to .co.uk using a 301 redirect. I also have the canonical url set as the .co.uk domain.

My client really want to be able to reach a global market without missing out on the benefits that a .co.uk domain gives her as a UK company.

Any ideas? Can we use geo targetting somehow? How would this be done with Prestashop?

My site is on a .com domain and is translated into 15 languages. I use Geotargeting in google WMT so for e.g. www.mysite.com/en is geotargeted to the UK, /fr to France etc. I also have the .co.uk domain which 301's to the .com/en. Works well for me.

I advice you to study http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com/2010/03/working-with-multi-regional-websites.html ... imo ccTLDs are the best choice although I had no time to proove it. It depends on a lot of factors to find the best strategy ... as you see in the google excerpt the server location is an indicator for google to geotarget content. The advantage of pel's approach is, that you do not have to build links for x-sites to make the domain(s) strong. On the other hand if, for example your server is located in uk it might become hard to get on top in the USA .. I at least would suggest a structure like www.example.com/uk/... www.example.com/us /... www.example.com/au/... or whatever, geotarget them with wmc and attach a different default currency for every shop to make it even more clear for google to which country the content is attached. In the end this is more flexible and I am quite positive you could 301 www.example.com/uk/ to www.example.co.uk when you think after time that this might be more promising without loosing PR and stuff. <- I did not test this so you should try that before ;)

• 10 months later...