[Solved] How do I disable the subcategories graphic image "no image available"

Hi there,

I have quite a few subcategories, when a particular parent category is selected there could be a few hundred subcategorie
s. With the "no image available" graphic displayed it takes up a fair amount of space, and looks messy.
How would I disable the graphic option on subcategories ? Also is there a way to only show the subcategories within the tree structure under categories or even just display the subcategories in the centre of the screen?

Thanks

Paul

did you find a solution to the problem? I have the same scenario. Maybe if I scream, I hope to get a clear answer. I have one person that answered at another thread, but never clearly state where in the line of code you have to comment out. I'm curious how to get rid of that as well

Comment out lines 33-36 of category.tpl in your theme directory:

<!--
getCategoryLink($subcategory.id_category, $subcategory.link_rewrite)|escape:'htmlall':'UTF-8'}" title="{$subcategory.name|escape:'htmlall':'UTF-8'}">

-->

Then add a margin to the ul.inline_list li element in css/global.css in your theme directory to put space between the subcategories, for example:

ul.inline_list li { float:left; text-align:center; margin-right: 10px; }

rocky's hack works fine, but I would bring two changes :

1/
In the .tpl files, instead of using
<!-- and -->
to comment some HTML code, it may be better to use the smarty comments :
{* and *}
The difference is that the HTML comments will remain in the page source code and can be seen.

2/
in the global.css, I would put instead :

ul.inline_list li { float:left; text-align:center; width : 100px; margin-left: auto; margin-right: auto; margin-top : 30px; margin-bottom : 20px}

(line 67)

Hi,

I followed the instructions of both Rocky and Patric and it worked. But: afterwards I noticed that the amount of products in the (sub)categories were followed by a strange sign. See attachment please. How to fix this little issue?

Thanks!

9347_8K3dnoqIxIyIs6IJu5Vl_t

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hey folks, I'm using 1.4.2.5.

Removing the subcategory pictures mentioned above works great changing the coding in the category.tpl file! But changing the coding in the global.css file does not make a difference in bringing the subcategories closer together (Am I correct in thinking that in 1.4.2.5 global.css it's changed to ".inline_list li" not "ul.inline_list li"). There's still a lot of spacing between the subcategories (see attached photo)...any ideas to work with 1.4.2.5?

Thanks in advance for help and suggestions!

JTLS

47600_xokIkMHJnZINfcvv5DqY_t

• 4 years later...

From another thread on this subject: 

You can change the "no image" picture in Back-end under the Tools tab -> Languages. You can see the list of languages used in your site. Click the edit link of the language which you are going to change the image. In a "No-picture" image field, browse and select the image you want. Lastly, click save.

Hope this will help you guys and to others looking for the same solution..

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I suddenly saw the CATEGORY 'no image' listed when before this was not present. A setting in Themes was set to ON resulting in this. Selecting OFF at this place solved the problem, just a setting for either showing the subcategories with pictures (and no image if none set), or not showing these titles and images:

Themes

Display subcategories