Demo Themes/Products vs MySQL Database

Hello All - Just Getting Started with PS....

When I installed PS I had to create an SQL database. The installation package installed a demo working site. My question is: Are all the demo products that were installed during the initial installation in the MySQL DB that I established or are they somewhere else? I am tempted to use the demo site as my starting point by deleting its products and just adding mine as I think the demo theme and layout is just fine for my purposes. I just am not sure if I would be working in the database I established (with its login, password, DB Name) or not.

Maybe someone could explain this for me before I get too far down the wrong (or right) path. Thanks in advance!

Note that you can do an install without the demo, you still get the default theme.

But since the demo data isn't big, deleting it manually isn't a problem either.

Most of the demo data is indeed in the database itself. But the images end in the img folder of the installation, in various sub-folders.

If things are done correctly, I suppose these images are deleted when you delete the corresponding item.

Thanks PhiLho, that's pretty much what I thought. I am by no means an SQL expert but I did manage to figure out MySQL Admin. I saw products listed there before I added any so I knew they were from the demo. I have sent for the manual but, if you know, how would I go about removing the demo? I was watching for an option to not install it & use the "simple" install but I guess I missed the option. If this is involved, please point me to the right place and I'll go read about it. Thanks again!

I don't know if there is a shortcut for removing the demo.

When I import the data from another shop via the CSV import, there is a check box allowing to erase existing data.

Otherwise, I fear you have to manually delete categories, manufacturers, products, etc.

Or just re-install PS if you haven't done much on the current install.

Thanks again for the reply. I have been working through that step. I have sent for the PS User Guide from Lulu so that should help. I do like the centerpiece of the demo page which is the animated display of featured products. I am trying to figure out which module or setting is doing that so I can keep it in place. Hopefully the Guide will tell me.