Can't Upgrade !

I have been fighting upgrading 1.4.9 to 1.5.3.1 for a week and can not get it to work, or should I say the upgrade works but once in the back office I can not enable force compile without losing the BO and FO to http 500 error.

I have tried this upgrade several times always the same result, I know it is a force compile issue as I can do all sorts of things without any issues.

So I decided to try another approach and load the 1.4.7 shop that was the original shop that was upgraded to 1.4.9 just for testing. (I actually use 1.4.7 for my shop).

But the only option available here is to upgrade to 1.4.9 so I figured I would upgrade to 1.4.9 then to 1.5.

No such luck when I click upgrade I get the following error.

Javascript error (parsejson) detected for acton "ungradenow". Starting restoration

And I get this error under expert mode if I click save.

Javascript error (parsejson) detected for acton "undateconfig". Starting restoration

All I can say at tthis point is UNBELIEVABLE!!!

I have never seen so many issues with Prestashop and it all seems to point to 1.5.3.1 and the 1 click upgrade.

I had updated the 1.4.9 site to 1.5.2 without any real issues once 1.5.3 and above I can not get a decent working upgrade from 1.4.

My fresh install of 1.5.3 works fine.