What are the best practicies for PS code management with git

Hello all,

i originally posted this in the installation forum by mistake, but since this is a more general topic i'm reposting under the General Discussion.

With the PS move to git the issue of proper configuration management becomes more important.

There were a few forum threads related to the topic but no clear answer so i'll give it another try.

Here are the common requirements for the proper source control configuration:

1. Need to track changes in the upstream branches of PS core and PS modules - "Vendor branches"

2. Need to manage multiple local PS projects that might use different modules and different versions of PS core and modules.

3. Need to manage local customizations and changes without obstructing the upgrade path for PS core and PS modules.

4. Need to be able to deploy projects from the repository to different servers (development, testing, production)

Let me illustrate with an example.

Vendor repositories:

PrestaShop.git

PrestaShop-modules.git

ThirdPartyModule.git

Local repositories:

SkeletonTemplateProject.git (used as the starting point for new projects)

Project1.git

Project2.git

Project1 uses PrestaShop core version X and some of Presta Modules

Project 2 uses PrestaShop core version X+1, some Presta Modules, and a 3rd party module.

With MODX i used separate local repositories to track vendor changes and svn:externals in order to include 3rd party libraries from those repositories into my projects in to avoid code duplication and simplify upgrades.

What would be the best way to setup PrestaShop and git local repositories and workflow between local and origin repositories in order to simplify upgrades of core and module code, keep track of our project customizations, and be able to quickly deploy the said projects.

My experience with PS is very limited at this point any kind of help would be greatly appreciated.

I think this issue is critical to agencies and consultants using PS on multiple projects. It would be very helpful if PS experts could layout best practices for PS configuration management with git.

Thanks in advance

Does the lack of responses mean that i have phrased the question unclearly or that nobody uses git for management of the PS master changes into and customizations of their PS projects?

If i'm posting this to the wrong forum please point me in the right direction. This seems like a fundamental issue for anybody who is managing more than 1 PS project.

Please do share whatever source code management workflow in git that works for you.

• 1 year later...

Thanks DH42, but unfortunately that link doesn't help at all.

The article is focused on submitting changes back to PrestaShop, which, though important, is not what i'm after.

I was looking for information about PrestaShop git workflow to manager my own projects based on PrestaShop. 

The latest search for the this topic reveale precious little new information since my original question almost 2 years ago.

It's suprising and bewildering since Git has become the standard version control system.

My hope is that some of the experienced PrestaShop developers would share their git workflow's with the community.

• 4 months later...

Thanks DH42, but unfortunately that link doesn't help at all.

The article is focused on submitting changes back to PrestaShop, which, though important, is not what i'm after.

I was looking for information about PrestaShop git workflow to manager my own projects based on PrestaShop. 

The latest search for the this topic reveale precious little new information since my original question almost 2 years ago.

It's suprising and bewildering since Git has become the standard version control system.

My hope is that some of the experienced PrestaShop developers would share their git workflow's with the community.

Did you found any working workflow for PS?

I found this guide here which looks pretty promising, the only issue that i see coming is, what will happen if accidentally eg updates the modules on production, production will be diverged. Is there a way to prevent that and avoid ssh to server and reset to head?

Edited by HaCos (see edit history)

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 11 months later...