Cart Not Updating without Force Refresh CTRL+F5

I'm running into an issue with the standard cart module that I've placed in my sidebar. Upon adding an item to my cart and selecting "Continue Shopping", the item is no longer visible in the cart.

I have since disabled browser caching and attempted to force a refresh with CTRL+F5, which works to update the cart. I can also clear the cache on my browser and it will update the cart.

Obviously, neither of these methods is reasonable to ask the customer to do while shopping.

Is there a way to prevent the cart module being cached (if that's indeed what is happening)?

Advice is greatly appreciated!

I also notice that I cannot seem to get it to stop caching the back office. This results in updating an option (say, a shipping carrier) and the having it not show up on the next page until I CTRL+F5. Slightly annoying for me, but will cause real problems when the client manages the cart.

Despite clearing my browser caches repeatedly, deleting contents of "Compile" under the Smarty directory on FTP, setting the backend to "Force Compile" and Caching Off, I still have a host of issues with the pages somehow being cached.

This manifests itself in:

1.Items disappearing from cart when you continue shopping (i.e. it loads the previously cached page).

2. The prices display w/o tax in Chrome, but with tax in Firefox, on one computer (production), is there a way to clear the Firefox cache beyond "Clear History-->Cache" and seleting "All Time." It's obviously still caching the page some how.

Prestashop would be literally the perfect product for e-commerce, but these caching issues render it literally useless at the moment.

I greatly appreciate any help that anyone can give.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a similar issue! When deleting a product from the cart it updates the prices but the product is still in the cart until refreshing the browser. Deleting the product again from the cart will make it disappear!

This is only a problem in the right sidebar cart. The cart in the topbar behaves as expected!

Help greatly appreciated.

• 3 months later...

The issue is caused by prestashop generated .htaccess, file, it sets expires headers for text/html content and forces it to be cached in browsers cache, you should open in shops root folder .htaccess file and delete the line

ExpiresByType text/html                        A259200

The issue is caused by prestashop generated .htaccess, file, it sets expires headers for text/html content and forces it to be cached in browsers cache, you should open in shops root folder .htaccess file and delete the line

ExpiresByType text/html						A259200

he can also change value of this param :-)

• 4 months later...

ExpiresActive On
ExpiresByType image/gif "access plus 1 month"
ExpiresByType image/jpeg "access plus 1 month"
ExpiresByType image/png "access plus 1 month"
ExpiresByType text/css "access plus 1 week"
ExpiresByType text/javascript "access plus 1 week"
ExpiresByType application/javascript "access plus 1 week"
ExpiresByType application/x-javascript "access plus 1 week"
ExpiresByType image/x-icon "access plus 1 year"

I only have these in my .htaaccess and i'm experiencing the same problem

Edited by syntaxed (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 4 years later...

We have a problem with the template. When we delete a product from the cart, the cart doesn´t refresh automatically, therefore the deleted item remain visible till we refresh the page manually.
With the default template Classic the product is removed at the moment.

Thank you very much for the support.

Prestashop version 1.7.2.1

lava0161 template