[SOLVED] same product, different tax rate based on shipping location

Hello,

I have recently installed prestashop 1.5.2 locally and I am exploring its features.

My shop is based within the EU but I have started selling to countries outside. Customers outside the EU don't have to pay for VAT.

Is there a way to do this on prestashop? I have created a tax rule with 0% VAT but I can't find a way of using different tax rate on the same product based on the shipping location.

Am I missing anything?

Thank you in advance.

jiyan

Edited by jiyan (see edit history)

As far as I understand, you need to

1. Go to Localization, Tax rules
  2. Add a VAT rate, say "25% EU"
  3. Edit that rule
  4. Click the "Add new tax rule" button
  5. Chose one county
  6. Chose tax rate
  7. Click "save and stay"
  8. Start over at 4. until all EU countries are added
  9. Start over at 2. until all VAT rates are added

I don't think you need to create no tax rules.

Lots of work, for aparently no reason since there is a zone for EU already.

Maybe it's a bug, a design flaw or perhaps the PS team just wants us to spend more time in the BO...

/Mats

Thank you for your reply.

Maybe I was not clear enough when I was writing my first post. The reason I wanted a 0% tax rule is for selling outside the EU.

Leaving that apart your method works!!

What I did was to create a new tax rule for 0% VAT and then edit individually those countries.

That way the prices are displayed with default VAT (23% for Greece) and during the checkout process after inputting the shipping location the final price is displayed without VAT.

It can be considered as SOLVED. Thanks once again.

I think I understood.

I'm in the same sutuation, and all I did was create tax rules (actually only one, 25%) for all EU countries, no 0% tax rules.

And that works fine, when I chose e.g. Norway no VAT is added, but for e.g. Germany 25% VAT is added.

Anyways, I'm happy it works for you, please edit the first post and insert [sOLED] in the subject.

/Mats

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Jiyan,

Was having the exact same dilema on my shop. The way taxes is dealt with changed drastically from the version 1.2.5 I come from.

It changed for the best no doubt, but it takes some try and fail to adapt :)

When it is true it seems the 'no tax' applies if no specific tax defined, however, call me paranoid if you want, but I made a tax rule 0.000% at 0% and I applied it manually to the country outside EU I am shipping to, and to be honest they are not that many: USA/Canada, Australia, Japan, South Korea and South of Africa. I am not fully sure how safe to deliver the other countries are so I am not shipping there for now.

Btw do not forget to add Norway and Switzerland because they are 0% zone.

One side question I have not yet finished to test, is if the tax rule defined for a carrier applies for a country in a 0% zone?

Also does it display the prices without VAT if coutry is defined as 0% when visitor not logued and comming from one of those countries (Geo-IP)?

Some more testing to do, or just wait for next order :)

Cheers.

Hello Muad'DIb,

The way you mentioned is how I implemented at first. It took a little time to figure out how it works but at least there was no tinkering with code involved.

I also agree that the way prestashop handles taxes, although not perfect, is acceptable to say the least. I had bad experience with other shopping carts where in the end I had to implement VAT-return by using the cart's discount mechanism.

I'm not sure either whether Geo-location works out of the box. It would be a nice touch if it did. If it does, do let us know.

Thanks for posting and for your tip. :)

jiyan