1and1 shared hosting - Images Import

Firstly great software - many thanks.
The problem I have and cannot seem to resolve is the uploading of images through the import function in the back office.
I have tested version 1.2 (latest) on localhost using xampp and everything seems to work fine - products, categories etc and url for image location. However when I try and do the same thing with my hosted test version of Prestashop images will not upload through the import function
Has anyone actually got this working using 1and1.co.uk, and if so give me any clues as to what settings I need to change

Unfortunately, this PHP version has a known bug :

* Some PHP 5 versions are bugged and prevent PrestaShop from working correctly:
- PHP 5.2.1 (authentication is impossible)
- PHP 5.2.6 (authentication is impossible under 64bits servers)
- PHP 5.2.9 (image management/upload broken)
- PHP < 5.2 (invalid date timezone)

Source : http://www.prestashop.com/en/downloads/

You'll have to upgrade your server PHP version.

Thank you again for your reply - I had in fact discovered that after my last posting

1and1 use php 5.2.9 so their is presumably nothing I personally can do about it until 1and1 upgrade themselves - is that correct.

If 5.2.9 is broken and that is the latest release of php surely everyone would have the same problems if thier hosting companies are using the latest version of php,

Presumably I could build my site on xampp which uses 5.2.6 and then upload all to my server - would that be a solution or what would you advise

Non, this is not a solution. This is the PHP version of the server where PrestaShop is executed that is important.

I fear you'll have to find a host with a different version of PHP if you want to use this functionnality.

Thank you again for you reply

If I found a host using a version of php prior to 5.2.9 that surely may only be temporary as they could within a short time upgrade to 5.2.9.

Should I wait until version 5.3 is released

Surely this problem is the answer to many peoples problems uploading images from an excel spreadsheet, though the Prestahop back office. Surely an alternative programming method should be developed to overcome this problem- if one exists

Sorry to bump this thread up, but if PHP Version 5.2.9 is not wowrking for image upload from excel spreadsheet, and this is the version that most hosting companies will have installed, what do we actually do to import images - must they all be done manually for each product

I really would like some clarification on this matter if possible.

I can only assume that as their has been no further replies that I have to conclude that no fix is available for php 5.2.9 and that Prestashop will not function with regard to uploading of images through the import function on the up to date version of php.

Do you think I have made the correct assumption, and that in order to get Prestashop to do this I will have to wait until an updated php version is released and has been installed by my hosting compnay (1and1)

It is no use whatsoever finding a host with an previous php version, as they could upgrade at any time to 5.2.9 and render my shop useless again

Such a shame

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. Yes using csv images will not import at all. I can upload images separately in the product pages, but not using the csv.
Really wich someone could solve this problem or at least give an indication of what may be wrong. Are any other 1and1.co.uk users having the same problem and managed to resolve it

Using csv I have uploaded an image to the product details, but all it shows is a big ?
All other products have a "no image available"
If I right click on the uploaded image it shows a path to it and a reference to the name of the image
....co.uk/store/1002-3-large/bass.jpg

Am I getting their or what could be the problem
I am hosted by 1and1.co.uk Php version 5.2.9

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Still attempting to get this working.

I have noticed that when I upload an image through csv, the file path (by right clicking the blank image) the properties are:
http://www.xxxx.co.uk/store/subcategory/1002-image.html

It does not go into the:
http://www.xxxx.co.uk/store/images/p/subcategory/1002-image.html

Could this be a clue!!! and could anyone help please

With over 800 views, surely this problem cannot only be affecting me

Argh! This was working a few days ago and now has stopped. I just checked and found out my host (vidahost) is also running PHP 5.2.9 which makes me think they have upgraded in the last few days, but I am checking with them.

Really hope someone can find a solution to this. wish I knew more about programming!

Well I finally got my images working, and what I did was a clean reinstall! If you make certain mistakes when uploading csvs, it seems to break prestashop, and even reinstalling old databases from before you made the error does not help. So tip number 1, clean reinstall, tip number 2, check your csvs are perfect! Probably worth uploading pic urls after adding the products rather than at the same time. Hope that helps.

• 4 months later...

After a long time I have come back to Prestashop for another attempt.
Has anyone found a solution to importing images to 1and1 shared hosting using the csv import tool in the back office

Really would appreciate an answer as Prestahop team seem to be totgally ignoring this issue

Well after my happy post before I actually started having problems again, so spoke to my host once again and they fixed the problem.

Here is what they said....

The best solution is probably to move your site to a suPHP server which resolves permission issues by running PHP under your username - there won't be any downtime at all, though it will take a few hours for your DNS to update before you see it running on the new server.

At first it still didn't work but then they realised that....

Prestashop needed exec() enabling :)

Anyway maybe you can ask 1 and 1 to do the same thing as this has totally solved my problems with images for good. If not I recommend you switch to my excellent host - vidahost. they usually get back to me within minutes even at 1 in the morning and sundays! and as you can see are very helpful, they are also quite cheap and I have never seen my site be down!