Media Server / Static Server Performance Help

Hi guys,

been trying to sus this one out for ages!

been following the steps found here

- http://www.webhostinghub.com/support/website/prestashop-15-tutorials/setting-media-servers-performance

- http://www.prestalive.com/blog/tutorials/32-great-ways-to-approach-to-the-optimization-in-prestashop.html

Been looking at the download waterfall of my website from tools.pingdom.com and I assuming I can reduce my website load time by ~30% by having multiple downloads

but I have a few questions as its not working

My configuration

3 subdomains (static1.domain.com ; static2.domain.com ; static3.domain.com) pointing to domain.com

Questions:

1. what files do I put in these domains? as pingdom is suggesting

- all graphics (theme, modules and products) if I am to put all product graphics in these folders, how do you upload new products to dynamically update the subdomain folders?

- css

- js

2. do I stucture the files in these subdomains in the same folder configuration as per domain.com?

3. How does it manage my SSL? do I need to get a new shared SSL for these subdomains?

4. is there anything I should be considering?

Really keen to sort this out, would love some help

Amazon Cloudfront works pretty well as a media server. You can set up separate cloudfronts for different types of media. You can also point your static1.site.com at the cloudfronts. If you're going to set it up, I would first try setting one media server for all media at first, just to make sure it's working. Keep it as simple as possible at first for troubleshooting. Cloudfront automatically uploads any content that you add through normal product administration.

But, an example, I had two prestashop 1.4.7 sites set up identically with Amazon Cloudfront and one worked perfectly, ssl included. The other one "almost" worked. Certain theme images were'nt loading and the ssl images wouldn't work.

I finally tried Cloudcache, which comes as a prestashop module. It costs more than Amazon, $9/mo vs pennies/mo. But it's easier to set up. You can use the cloudcache shared ssl in addition to your own certificate (but to do that you have to disable "Increase Front Office Security" in Preferences/General - it's a cookie thing). You can also use their premium ssl, but it's going to add another ~$25/mo to the bill.

At any rate, if you can do it on Amazon, it's a lot cheaper. I think you might have been talking about setting all the subdomains on your one server, but I don't have any experience doing that.

I agree with rturner as to use a cdn is a great option and use one that is easy. I use cloudflare dot com and is a great tool and very very easy to set up. They offer extra firewalls plus offer a ddos attack handling so if you're being attacked you can use a captcha that they have to use to get on the site.

I would at the very least check it out. I use a paid plain but they also have a free version. The paid plans offer so much that will be a huge asset to your site.