Javascript error when upgrading from 1.5.x with 1-click upgrade

I installed 1.5 a month or so ago and when it came to upgrading to 1.5.1 using the 1-click upgrade, the process started OK, reached the stage that the db and files had been backed up but then the second that the actual upgrade process started after the backup had finished, I received the error:

Javascript error (parseJSON) detected for action "upgradeFiles".Starting restoration...

I see this error listed in many discussions but no conclusion. I thought that as new versions of the 1-click upgrade module came out and when 1.5.2 was released that the 1-click upgrade would work, but I still get the same error.

Any ideas how I can upgrade or what is going wrong? I'm stuck on 1.5.0.17.

warren

When I had a similar error it looked like it might be a timeout. So I disabled the backup of the images and other files (I had a manual backup anyway and the PS restore is not very reliable). It helped me at least further: instead of an error in the midst of the backup I got the same error during the update of database. You might also consider adapting the PHP.INI settings that regulates the timeout.

Anyway, take care that you have a good backup both of your files and your database.

• Like 1

Hi,

Thanks again for the advice... i already had a 1.5.0.17 test install and when I tried to upgrade to 1.5.2, I received a similar error. When I then went and changed all files to 777 recursively, the upgrade worked fine and the store seems perfect. When I went to change permissions back to 755 though, the store stopped working. So the question is, out of all the files/directories in PS, which need to be 777 because clearly I can't leave my entire site with 777?

If I can figure this out, I should be able to change my live site permissions to 777, upgrade and then change permissions back.

Warren

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Hello everyone. I'm having this parseJSON javascript error on autoupgrade as well, so I'm trying to create a checklist of possible causes. Here is what I understand from this thread on this forum:

Potential cause: Timeout

Check or try: disabled the backup of the images and other files (make manual backup before)

Potential cause: PHP.INI settings

Check or try: edit this file to make sure there are no timeout (Hey guys, how do we do that?)

Potential cause: upgrading on a server where you have too little rights

Check or try: Use phpmyadmin to check that your user has all privileges on your database. also: You should at least set the rights of all files to 666

Potential cause: the type of browser you use

Check or try: try with firefox (Really????, can it make a difference)

If anyone has any insight on this matter, please reply to this topic...