Prestashop, please go back to KISS

Having spent a few days trying in vain to upgrade from 1.4.8.2 to 1.5.1 I would like to offer a few suggestions to the Prestashop team:

- have one single "development mode"

You should be able to switch to this mode with one single setting in settings.inc.php and with one setting in the BO. This should disable all caches and switch on PHP and Mysql error detection. It should also empty all caches. As there are more and more of those settings nowadays the risk is increasing that settings stay stuck in the wrong mode. Having settings in the BO and the database is not enough as cached errors may disable the BO.

In the last few days I repeatedly encountered (PHP) errors that seemed insolvable but had suddenly disappeared the next day. It must have been some caching problem but I am clueless.

- put all the main settings back in settings.inc.php.

It looks like PS is moving towards keeping settings in the database. Moving you shop to a different directory is no longer possible and there seem to be no adaptations in settings.inc.php to manage multi-shop. This is a very bad development. Being able to change things in a simple way has always been the strength of PS.

- follow basic KISS programming principles

A good example are the _THEME_NAME_ and __PS_BASE_URI__ variables. In 1.5.1. they are defined both in settings.inc.php and in config.inc.php. Normally this goes ok, but quite often it gives errors. Those problems have probably other causes but the fact remains that this is a situation that is incomprehensible by just looking at those two files.