Can any cache system be used with Prestashop besides memcache

Ok my web host got memcache installed on my vps server and my site slowed way down. Not good at all in my book.

Can I use other cache systems that are out there or must I use memcache? I currently use 1.4.9 presta version.

All system requirements are met using the prestashop software as far as apache goes etc.

I wanted to ask before i made any decisions on what to do tomorrow.

Thank you

Clayton

in 1.5 there is some option APC,xcache and filesystem, i dont know all option available or not in 1.4.9

the only options in my BO is memcache and file systems but I need to know can others be used as well? This memcache has slowed my website down bad and i can NOT release it like this.

Thank you vynx for your reply. :)

Edited by clayton29657 (see edit history)

yes that is what they told me about a file system to put in place for images because I have like 20k images and something has to be in place to use. I have been working on it all day long so we shall see what others say here regarding this.

what you say is called accelerator/apc correct? I will ask about this one to see but they told me they will help load different options to help find the speed I am needing so that is good.

I just do not want to load something then it now work correctly and waste a couple more hrs when if I already knew then I would not have them try it.

Just a follow up with all who wants to know more about a cache system to help with load times with prestashop software. Thanks to Bellini13 I have now enough info to find a cache system to put in place.

Hi Clayton, thanks for reaching out to me. I am not aware of other caching components that you could use with v1.4.9. I'd like to better understand why you feel the need for one?

The filesystem/memcache facility will only cache frequently used database information (things like products, category, customer, cart/order, configuration etc...). The reason for this is because it is typically quicker to access the information from memory, then to constantly query it from the database.

The use of caching will not effect images because it is not PHP that is serving them, it is your apache/web server that serves them. You might want to look into a media server, that serves/caches static content (images, css, javascript etc...).

There are a few options for media servers...

1) You can create 3 sub-domains on your server that redirect to your main domain (media1, media2, media3) and then enable the media server in prestashop. Prestashop will then attempt to serve that static content from those sub-domains. This is a performance benefit due to the way browsers open connections to your server. There is a connection limit for a client browser (let's say its 4). So a browser will download all of the page content using these 4 connections. By providing 3 additional domains to serve content, the browser will use 16 connections instead. This does not offer caching

2) You can use a service like amazon (CDN) http://aws.amazon.com/cloudfront/ which would provide a caching/media server. I have not installed this yet for any of my clients, but have seen discussions on the forums about it.

3) Prestashop has partnered with CloudCache.com, which would be similar to amazon's CDN

You might want to research the CDN options more (cost and features).

I've tried using both media servers and Amazon Cloudfront but both are not perfect.

Media servers

The problem with this (tested on PS1.4.6.2) is that if you have a shared SSL certificate static content will not be displayed on https pages at all, because the certificate is only valid for your main domain, not subdomains. It's strange because on earlier versions of 1.4 this problem was fixed - if on a http page the static content was served from the media servers, when on https it was served from the main domain - but the problem reappeared in later versions. It's a shame because there was a noticeable speed increase.

Cloudfront

This is really easy and quick to set up and at first I was really pleased with the outcome - all static content was served from the CDN (which is great if you have visitors scattered around the planet) and page load was definitely faster. The problem though is that occasionally the page would hang for a few seconds and then load instantly. So I just found it a bit unreliable so I gave up on this also.

Hope this helps.

thank you for the reply pel024,

I have signed up for amazon cdn and will update this later after my exp. using the service.

I use a ev ssl on my site not shared ssl and right now we are running test on the site and all test have worked really good.

Thank you for your input

• 6 months later...

Hey blueraccoon,

I stopped using amazon cdn and went for cloudflare but was still with some issues so I now do not use a cache system except what comes with the software and my site runs better without it to be honest.

If I were you do some testing on your site test only before launching the site because to be careful to only cache static pages and images cause it caused problems with shipping and customer log ins etc

Good luck

Clayton

If you're wanting to use a cache system I would do a lot of testing on the site itself for which software you're wanting to use such as amazon, cloudflare or memcache.

I used all 3 and I have to be honest my site runs better without all 3 of these. Being memcache was the worst one I used and was a toss up with amazon and cloudflare.

Cloudflare is really good if you sell world wide and only cache static pages and images on their paid service like 20. a month is what I had and offers a lot of options but it was stll causing issues with customers accounts and shipping calculations in carts, etc.

Good luck

• Like 1