BIG problem with search!

I've (finally) managed to install 1.5.0.17 on my site hoping that this issue would be fixed in the upgrade, but no such luck. I have 129 items in my store at the moment, but searching on the front end refuses to display them correctly no matter what I do.

I sell ink cartridges, so I've added the entire range of Canon PGI29 cartridges for example. If I do a search for "PGI29" only one of the items shows up in the results.

I've looked at Preferences > Search, it says I have 117/129 products indexed. Indexation is enabled, and I've reduced the minimum word length to 1 to see if that had any effect. I can click "Rebuild entire index" to my heart's content, it still doesn't increase the indexed products above 117.

What do I do?!

I'm running 2 multi-stores, 1 with 3 stores, another with just 2

The one with 3 stores, all 3 the search if at least 3 letters are inputted, it will call up products

The one with just 2 stores, 1st store, yes 3 letters work, 2nd store, no...

Plus I hit 'reset' and now the search block is on the left side of the top covering the logo

• 1 month later...

The main store currently has 288 products and it is indexing all 288. The other 2 stores that are multi-store are showing the 288 products, but 1 is only indexing 45 the other 57. I've clicked on 'Re-build entire index' with no luck with no change or increase of indexing.