Improving Bounce Rate

markjl

Are there any open discussions about improving not SEO but bounce rate. I've been battling with this subject for some time.

I find that certain configurations on the page, improve it and others not.

An example is using a block with categories in the middle of the page rather than featured products.

What are your thoughts or can you direct me to discussions on that? Thanks

What do you find is the best landing page for your Google Ads or through search? From experience, I have found that best landing page, based on lowest bounce rate figures remains the main index page rather than individual product pages.

However, the theory is not proven since the site site has changed many times over time. I can only surmise that users prefer coming into the main page and then navigating to find the required service because it makes them feel more comfortable.

Bringing them into a product page makes them feel pressured somehow and not confident that they are at the right place. For instance, you're looking for a good online tie shop and you turn up on the blue tie page. You know you have landed in a tie shop and the blue ties look good but you wanted a red tie, so you go back to the homepage and search.

However you probably leave the shop quickly if the first tie you see is horrible or the page is untidy.

However the problem may be seen round another way. If you bring everyone in to the main page, they are more likely on average to look at at least one or more other pages and so the bounce rate will reduce by definition, since a bounce rate is high if users leave after seeing only one page.

Does this match your experience? What thoughts?

...offer free stuff...like shipping, taxes included...display number of days for shipping...make it easy to click through, if you want increase click throughoffer discounts for multiple purchases.

remember the tabs of your product do not count as new pages which affects your bounce rate.

if your visitors are coming into the front page, most should not, then you want to review your index by fetching yourself using google webmaster tools. One would want to get their product placed before a link to the home page.