What's wrong with black and white

markjl

What's wrong with black-and-white? I have a friend who is in web marketing. She says that black-and-white is not reassuring. I say that it is elegant, solid and respectable. I'm looking for rights and wrongs, perhaps and I haven't done the course.

However, I have a notion of what I'm trying to sell. Reassuring the customer that if they send me their film to convert to DVD, that first of all I won't lose it, that I will take care of it, and that I will convert it with the best possible quality, that I have the best possible technical knowledge, that my company is honest and organised.

I provide services not sales. I question whether I can sell my services with a catchphrase, a nice photo or a gadget. For me, services are sold through text, through explanation, reassuring with words. Where am I going wrong?

What is wrong with black-and-white? What is wrong with the 80's feel? Why do I have to do respect colour codes, form and the 8 billion other sites that are out there using a template? So I conclude that in any case, I have to customise. But the fundamental question is colour and form. What corresponds to my image and what image is conveyed through the template.

What do you think of my site? http://mjlvideo.fr. Thanks

I also use a black/white based theme.

I find some people get 'used' to their template and will do silly things like try to upgrade their 1.3 template to PrestaShop 1.4. And if anyone has the slightest criticism of their template it's almost like they criticized their child.

Unless you have more marketing expertise than your friend, you should carefully consider your friends advice. I'd love to have people knowledgeable in marketing, product marketing etc. help me with my site.. :)

I've been looking at my competitors (well noboyd offers what we do) and they pretty much have all upgraded their templates in the last six months. I will be doing the same myself.

Edited by elpatron (see edit history)

ok I bought Premium Electronics Store template. It looks better now I think but its quite a shift change. I've had to change the organisation of the categories to fit the top cat block !!! Funny

Still got some bugs with the template translating properly and theme settings, otherwise had to re-copy v1.4.9.0 for jquery slider to work and drop down categories.

Edited by markjl (see edit history)
  • Like 1