Products sold in cases?

I have multiple products that are sold in cases but I don't want to show the case price. I would like to show the single item price but the customer has to order the case quantity. For example, I sell packing tape that is sold at $1.00 a roll. I don't sell individual rolls, just cases. Each case has 36 rolls. I can set the minimum quantity to 36 but if the customer adds 37 rolls it becomes an issue.

Here is a link to demonstrate my point. http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-117/Carton-Sealing-Tape/2-x-55-yds-Clear-18-Mil-Economy-Industrial-Tape

The quantity defaults to 36. If you enter 37 and click add to cart, it will kick up to 72 and show you the message "must be ordered in multiples of 36, quantity increased to 72. "

Is this possible in Prestashop?

Chris, you can definitely do that. However, the quantity would be place as 1 case. In the description you would state that one case includes 36 items. The price would reflect the 1 case of 36 items. The customer can then order a quantity of 2, which would include 2 cases of 36 items each. Does that make sense? I hope it can help. Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello jumpink, I see that you found a solution on your website, but I think the in an ideal world something like this would be better:

http://www.lumea.co.uk/catalog/Ambeo-10-1.html

Check out how customers can update the number of cases they want to buy, and the discount on the unit price is displayed simultaneously. Like a discount and unit price calculating "add to case" module.

I am looking for something like this for my new e-store, if this is something you need maybe we can hire a freelancer to build a similar module for both of us? Would you be interested?

• 1 year later...

I think ideally this should be an option part of Prestashop core, and when a product is only sold in cases, the price should show per unit (and maybe per case too) and instead of having a quantity box (in the add to cart form) it should show a dropdown withe the multiples defined for the product (36, 72,...). That would be pretty clear.

I am looking for a solution for this too. As mentioned before, when customers compare prices with other shops they want the unit price, not the case price. Another vendor may sell the same product but in cases of different number of items (or weight), so to compare you might have to do some math that should be avoided.

Hi fire2, if that is the case, you can easily put the price per unit in the short description. That way, your customer wont have to look for it, it would be right there easily in view.

The problem comes from if the unite price changes the more quantity you choose. However, in that case you can also just add a table in the short description outlining the costs per unit per quantity.

What do you think?