Product duplicated options vs attributes

davers44

Hi,

I have a doubt about product options and seo, maybe your thoughts can help.

Many competitors publish the same product many times if that is available in different options.

Just as an example an Ipod could be pubished in many colors, different gb's or even special editions. Title and the description are the same because the product is really the same and need ony editing one word to specify the different version.

This is also easier for the customer to see the difference, can easily notice new versions when broswing instead of being hidden in the product page, even stock and stats are better managed and maybe also searches get more focus.

But what about product duplication penalization? I mean the title and description are 99% the same changin only one or a couple words.This could happen for many products and different languages also, having a good part of the website duplicated. Is that such partial duplication enough to bother bots?

What do you think are overall pro and cons for the seo and whole shop benefits? Better gathering most variants in a single product with many attriubutes or publishing all variants as single products?

Thanks for your thoughts

Edited by davers44 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 11 months later...

...But what about product duplication penalization? I mean the title and description are 99% the same changin only one or a couple words.This could happen for many products and different languages also, having a good part of the website duplicated. Is that such partial duplication enough to bother bots?

What do you think are overall pro and cons for the seo and whole shop benefits? Better gathering most variants in a single product with many attriubutes or publishing all variants as single products?

Good question, I'm just thinking on the same now. I think the best way is the third:

1. 99% same desctriptions at different but similar products (ipod black, ipod white, ipod 16GB, ipod32GB....and you will hope in better Google rank. But Google like unique content not Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V.

2. ONE product with one product page and one description. Add combinations with drop-down menu.

3. Unique content at ALL similar products. Very hard and need a lot of nights to make this...so try to write about white ipod only...:-)so hard. But not impossible, for example write down why better the white color, so trendy...and more. If only two rows then two rows no matter. But better than copy 10 rows and paste at all ipods.